PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is a random thing to share, but I am really impressed and grateful by this small act.

Back in early September on the day before my sons first day of JK, I asked him what he wanted to do. He said that he wanted to know if there were any artists in Antarctica, and if there were what they do. We decided to email the British Antarctic Survey with his questions. A few days later they replied (there aren't), and asked for my mailing address so they could send out a postcard with a penguin on it, despite us living in Canada. I thanked them and that was that.

Today in the mail I found this large padded envelope, filled with stuff. He is going to love it when he gets home.

Still good people in the world ?

P_20201109_150655.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
What a marvellous story Mike, your lad will be delighted.

Back when I was about 12, I wrote to Trinity House (who controlled all lighthouses & lightships in the UK) in Edinburgh to get info for a school project. Imagine my glee when about a week later a huge package arrived containing the full history of Trinity House plus a whole pile of beautiful maps and diagrams!

Regards,

Jay.?u

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
He literally jumped for joy. There was pamphlets on the research stations, the research ship, a pin, a pencil, a penguin keychain, two 'mission patches', and about 15 postcards. Incredible gesture really, I was blown away.
Very cool. I'm sure the folks down there were tickled to get a young person to ask. puffy

Status
Not open for further replies.