PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
My wife and I traveled to Southern California this week and did some shopping in Beverly Hills. As part of my planned stops, we visited Kramer's Pipe and Tobacco Shop on Santa Monica Blvd, just a short block from the fabled shopping area of Rodeo Drive.

Kramer's was founded in 1949 by Al Kramer and his wife who moved to Beverly Hills from Chicago.

The Kramer's had a big list of pipe-smoking Hollywood celebrities as customers. Some had custom pipe tobacco blends that carry their name and you can buy some today. You really need to visit the website. Read the shop history – it's great, and loaded with names of Hollywood stars who regularly patronized Kramer's. (www.kramerstobaccoshop.com)

This shop is a little gem, located in the original business district. Modest by Beverly Hills standards of today, Kramer's has that great feel of a classic smoke shop that many pipe and cigar smokers remember and one newcomers need to experience.

Aside from its unique history, the shop has a very fine assortment of quality pipes, cigars, accessories and gifts. Give yourself some time here when you visit, there is much to see. Bring a pipe as you will be offered a sample of Kramer's legendary blends. You can't miss with Father Dempsey's Blend if you're a full English smoker,or you can try Kramer's original House Aromatic Blend just to name two of the shop's original house blends.

The shop is run by Al Kramer's daughter, Marsha and her husband. We got to meet Marsha and had a delightful time chatting with her about the shop and its great history. Marsha is a total sweetheart!

Do yourself a favor. If you come to the LA area, make sure to plan a visit. Parking was a snap- cheap and right around the block.

In a place where fame is fleeting and fashion rules, Kramer's is an institution and just a pleasure to experience.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Marsha was at the Chicago show last year and is a wealth of information and just great to talk tobacco with. I picked up some Danny Kaye blend and some Carey Grant blend (which I don't see on their web site); both were excellent medium-level English blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.