PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I do believe that I've discovered my favorite blend. This is a medium to full blend with a wonderfully complex aroma with a lot going on. Not too smoky with lots of dried fruit notes from the perique and Virginias and something more that's difficult to pin down. Smokes well in a variety of pipes, lights well and needs surprisingly few relights. As for flavor, not too far from Nightcap and even 965 with a bit of age. Actually, this bend's flavors are more like that of a nicely aged and well kept tin. Father Dempsey burns cool and has no bite. Nice and smooth with abundant flavor in every draw. This is one blend that I can never tell when the end of the bowl is near - just seems to stop. Not a lot of ash and little, if any moisture. This is an unbelievable well behaved and delicious smoke. I've passed on the latest & greatest limited offerings in leu of stocking up on this pleasure. Oh, and I recommend this treat highly ! puffy

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I ordered some bulk a while back and was let down. It had an undescribable artificial taste in the background and seemed flat like it was missing something. Unfortunately I forgot to jar it from the bag and it has become quite crispy.

Was your experience from a tin or bulk?
Surprisingly, I bought bulk. In my experience, bulk usually is not quite as nice as tins for most blends I've tried both of. I have no need to go to tins, as the bulk is spot on for me!

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
I’ve purchased Father Dempsey, Cary Grant, and Danny Kaye (all from bulk) and enjoy them all for different reasons. Maybe not the most complex blends on the market, but they’re all consistent, classic blends at terrific price. These are the blends I reach for when I’m not sure what I want to smoke and don’t want to crack open a new tin. So glad S&P made these available to everyone and saved them from the ash heap of history.

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Flavor is fine, because I like sweet blends, but it's not complex (to me). I find that it's a bit nippy, and a tad harsh. That said I get bit by many well liked tobaccos and red virginia is generally but not always the culprit. Had a tin, tried it twice, got bit both times and jarred it to see if it calms down someday.

Bill Mac

Lurker
Jul 17, 2020
Michigan, USA
Purchased and smoked my first Father Dempsey this week. I've read some reviews that said it had bite. Well, any tobacco burnt too hot or smoked too fast can bite so i tried this in a nose warmer I have and seldom smoke because I can depend on a smoke that bites.
First thing I noticed is the nice note as soon as I opened the tin. Very pleasing. Packed my pipe and smoked the first relaxing bowl thinking about what I find with this new to me blend. I smoked the entire bowl with only the initial light and 2 others.
I find the blend very smooth with a very nice and enjoyable taste. I also like smelling the smoke. Very pleasing. I test room note after I smoke by leaving the room and going outside for a short walk. When I returned I found a very pleasant room note from this tobacco.
I lit my second bowl in a Dr. Grabow and sat outside and enjoyed it. Again only the initial char light and a relight and I smoked the entire bowl without any bite.
I just finished my 3rd bowl of the day in a custom pipe I picked up a few years ago, but forget who carved it. Once again, initial light and relight and a refreshing evening smoke. No bite.
I will be smoking and purchasing more of this blend.