PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
So out of curiosity, how many blends would you say you have tried?

When I first fired up I went through a process of migrating through B&M aromatics of a few different flavors, a few codger blends, and eventually some "quality" tins in various families of blends that finally assured me I would find something I could pleasantly and truly enjoy.

Now that I've pushed onward and tried a few (30?), not only am I expanding my palate to different styles, I'm finding that overall, there are truly many, many blends I seem to like.

It's been very rare for me to truly dislike something, and multiple times I've opened a tin and soon thereafter declared that this one might be my favorite, or should at least be in my rotation. But as I've purchased quite wide, when I open another new-to-me tin, it's not that rare for me to declare another absolute winner; starting the process all over again. At least certainly not leading to a conclusive winner, not even 3, 5 or 10 of them.

Is this common? I truly find more fantastic blends than bad ones. I would say that all of my choices are very popular and among the readily available, so nothing unique and no outliers.

I've certainly no complaints at being able to enjoy a plethora of mixes, just wonder if most of us end up enjoying "a few", or "most all" of the blends available to us.

Cheers
feel like I might have tried probably around 50 + now myself. Realized I was not an Aro guy from the start , but there are definitely some in all the other families that are “ oh no” , “meh” , “ok” and “ yes more much more” blends… I’d like to get my rotation down to a mild,medium, and Heavy In each family with a few special occasion novelties here and there, its a slow process but I’m making headway on a standard rotation…

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Extra Smooth is a huge sleeper
Enjoyable but there’s something about it that leaves me wanting more. I have a bit left that I’m tempted to mix with a little latakia and perique (both from C&D) to see what I get. Maybe it will magically transform into Fr Dempsey? The only others I’ve tried from Kramer’s are Blend for Cary Grant and House Aromatic, both of which I really liked, but the Cary Grant one especially.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
So out of curiosity, how many blends would you say you have tried?

When I first fired up I went through a process of migrating through B&M aromatics of a few different flavors, a few codger blends, and eventually some "quality" tins in various families of blends that finally assured me I would find something I could pleasantly and truly enjoy.

Now that I've pushed onward and tried a few (30?), not only am I expanding my palate to different styles, I'm finding that overall, there are truly many, many blends I seem to like.

It's been very rare for me to truly dislike something, and multiple times I've opened a tin and soon thereafter declared that this one might be my favorite, or should at least be in my rotation. But as I've purchased quite wide, when I open another new-to-me tin, it's not that rare for me to declare another absolute winner; starting the process all over again. At least certainly not leading to a conclusive winner, not even 3, 5 or 10 of them.

Is this common? I truly find more fantastic blends than bad ones. I would say that all of my choices are very popular and among the readily available, so nothing unique and no outliers.

I've certainly no complaints at being able to enjoy a plethora of mixes, just wonder if most of us end up enjoying "a few", or "most all" of the blends available to us.

Cheers
Knowing that tastes of pipe tobaccos are wildly individual, it is the unusual harmony of the various tobacco elements in Fr. D. that I am attracted to. That and the fact that it is one of the smoothest pipe tobaccos I've encountered. Oh, I've tried a lot of different blends and really did like some of the McClellands, etc, but the current offerings are amazing. YMMV

Reactions: FLDRD

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Had few bowls. There's something that I don't care for. Not sure what it is. Kinda off flavor. It's not a bad smoke. I can get into it and enjoy the bowl, but won't be a repeat purchase.

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Had few bowls. There's something that I don't care for. Not sure what it is. Kinda off flavor. It's not a bad smoke. I can get into it and enjoy the bowl, but won't be a repeat purchase.
This is about where I stand on it. I have a big jar of it tucked away somewhere in a closet. That'll be enough to last me the rest of my days of smoking.
As you said, it's not a bad blend. I too enjoy the smoke when I occasionally/accidentally pull it out and have a bowl. I just think there's better bulk English mixtures out there

Reactions: anotherbob

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I'm a beginner. I like Father Dempsey, but I'd say that I like 965 more. They seem similar to me.
I have a tin of the 965 , FD has a tad of the sour to it not as much as NightCap but I’ve noticed jarring tames them both , interested in the 965. Have read that Rattray’s Black Mallory is a fuller more flavorful version of 965 and I’ve been trying to hunt that one down as well.

Reactions: damacene

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I have a tin of the 965 , FD has a tad of the sour to it not as much as NightCap but I’ve noticed jarring tames them both , interested in the 965. Have read that Rattray’s Black Mallory is a fuller more flavorful version of 965 and I’ve been trying to hunt that one down as well.
Yes I think 965 is my favorite real English smoke, although Father Dempsey is good too. I have heard 965 was always a very popular blend in England.

One website said that if you like 965, you might try GL Pease Chelsea Morning and Gaslight. These are readily available.

Reactions: vosBghos