PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I was just out sharpening my knife, and I got to wondering, how many of we pipe-smokers regularly carry knives around with us? And of course, whether there are any good stories with the knives we may or may not carry.
I carry a Schrade Old Timer that was in my truck when my dad gave it to me. I carry it on my belt everywhere I go.
So, yeah...anybody else have a carry knife? It seems like the kind of thing we'd do, what with carrying a knife being a tad old-fashioned.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I've been walking around with a knife in my pocket since I was 12 years.I have several that I switch between now and then.Case,Kershaw,and Buck are my brands of choice.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
That is interesting. Yes always have. Don't feel dressed with out it. Due to a family emergency,I spent last summer in Portland, Oregon. Flying there, with carry on only, I could not bring my knife. I could not stand it after a week and bought a case trapper. My usual is an old timer. But, the case is a very fine piece.

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
On my 12th birthday my Dad gave me a little ivory handled knife that was engraved with "Squirrel Skinner". It was indeed a great skinner and I carried it with me for the next 20 years until it was lost in the gulf. I carry a little gerber that is similar in size to it now. I always have it with me. Of course I carry a pistol about 85% of the time now as well.

nunsmkr

Lurker
Mar 24, 2011
I always have a knife with me. Usually it's an automatic Benchmade. Expensive...but very good knives!!!!

Steve

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Always have my little Boker damascus folder in a pocket for everyday stuff.

Usually carry a smallish tactical knife as well, been a CRKT Hisatsu folder for the last few years.

I have about as many knives as pipes, which means way too many.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I've carried a pocket knife since I was 10. I have a Spyderco Harpy, A Gerber Paraframe Titanium and an automatic Columbia River Desert Camo knife that I carry for bigger jobs, which I alternate and I always have my Swiss Army Officer on a belt clip nomatter what!

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I've carried the same case copper lock for 9 years. Bought it at an old grocery store that has since closed. Comes in handy, Even got me out of a locked public restroom once.

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
I've carried a knife with me for as long as I can remember. I work ~75% of the time in an office and I still carry one every day.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I still carry one every day
And how many times have you heard "Anybody got a knife I can use?" for a million different things.

Anyone who knows me just assumes I'm the one to ask, usually followed by,

"Damn, thats sharp" and ocassionally, "Oh crap I just cut my finger off".......

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
OK. Stories... Many moons ago, I was preparing for a camping trip with my (at the time) girlfriend and her daughter (who after two weddings, which is a different story and probably not the one you just made up in you head, and an adoption later are now my wife and daughter) and found I couldn't fit those tiki torch things in the car without cutting some of the bamboo pole off. So, I got out my trusty Victorinox Swiss Army knife and began scoring the bamboo for the place I needed to cut.

My first clue that things were going to end messily should have been that I was scoring this bamboo in the near dark. The second clue was that that Victorinox wasn't the sharpest thing in the world although, it was, as you will see, much sharper than me.

So I started scoring but it was taking too long so I used more pressure and what happened? Yep! The bamboo came off and the blade went right into my left thumb. The only thing that stopped it from cleaving my thumb in half was my nail. I ran up to my wife's part of her Mom's house to the bathroom and immediately washed it off. She came to see where I had gone when she saw the splatters of blood going up the stairs to the bathroom. She drove me to the Emergency Room at the local hospital where a Doctor with spray-on hair proclaimed that it wasn't bad enough to need stitches, so he put a butterfly suture on it and sent me on my way. My Aunt saw it a week later and said I should've got stitches. Now my thumb is permanently deformed.
Lessons:

Don't cut in the dark or near dark.

Most important: Always keep your blade razor sharp.
-Jason

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Thats a good point Jason, a sharp knife is dangerous if you're careless, but a dull knife will get you in trouble a lot more often.

I see she decided to marry you anyway :lol:

rick777

Lurker
Jun 16, 2011
I carry a Leatherman Micra everywhere. The scissors and razor sharp blade get used daily. I sometimes use the file to correct the button on some of my pipes.

When working on cars, I usually belt on my Gerber Legend. (It has replaceable wire cutting inserts, replaceable saw blade, etc. Both replacement parts are available from a hardware store.)
I had an original leatherman Micra, pre patent, which inadvertently got confiscated by airport security on the way to a car rally in Newfoundland. It is such a normal part of my being I simply forgot it was a forbidden item.... :|

I have since replaced that micro 3 times due to airports....

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
My Grandfather carried an Old Timer. I have found memories of it and all Schrade knives. This post is well timed because I found myself searching for Old Timers last weekend at an antique market. No luck.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I have a small toothpick buck knife with me most of the time, in all my 2 cars there's always a knife somewhere.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Anyone who knows me just assumes I'm the one to ask, usually followed by,

"Damn, thats sharp"
Must be a Texas thing. I'm the same way. i also carry a Spyderso Double Stuff sharpener around. I've used it on everything from knives to mortuary needles (you can autoclave it).
One day we were all standing around and someone asked "Hey, do you have a knife?" Everyone within earshot laughed out loud. Then one person said, "careful, you'll lose a finger."

Status
Not open for further replies.