PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
null.jpg

A good friend was recently stationed in Tokyo on a work assignment. He asked what he could send me from Japan. Naturally, I suggested a pipe. He sent me this beautiful kiseru...silver and bamboo along with a pouch of the appropriate shag tobacco. A wonderful addition to my collection.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
I've never heard of a kisegu, I'll google it, and educate myself a bit. It's a good looking pipe, but that bowl is so small. Does it use special tobacco, or just a 2 minute smoke? Nice gift, congratulations.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
It uses little tobacco pellets. It is a one or two hit job. The tobacco is very strong and is used as a way to get a quick buzz. In my research a few years ago I found it is used primarily in the middle east and is currently fashionable with the younger smokers. I looked into them when I was in Abu Dhabi. They were being sold in a very high end pipe / cigar shop and when I asked about them the guys who ran the store weren't very enthused about them. The tobacco came in little plastic squirt bottles much like you see craft glue in. They told me they doubt I would be able to get the tobacco for it in the US.
That's my .02

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Nice pipe by the way seakayak. Can you post a pic of the tobacco too? I wonder where else these pipes are being used.

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
Zonomo did some good research on these a bit ago. That one looks really nice seakayak.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/other-ethnic-and-cultural-pipes#post-331800

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
null-2.jpg

The tobacco is called kizami; and (with apologies to my Japanese friends) the proper name for the pipe is actually "Kiseru". It's a short smoke (about 5 minutes) but is a most interesting experience.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
A long time ago threads like this were considered taboo here. It wouldn't surprise me to see it get moderated out of existence under Rule #7. There have been threads about other types of Eastern smoking implements, and Kevin said:
This is a different type of tobacco than what this site is about. This is from Middle Eastern origins and has different types of additives. This comes from a different culture and background than the traditional American and European pipe tobaccos and is a different type of experience.
They have special little pipes called a midwakh.
Dokha is an Iranian tobacco mixed with leaves, bark and herbs, generally smoked in a pipe called a midwakh. It is popular in the United Arab Emirates.
This is a totally different experience and practice than what we do with our American / European origin style pipes.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I submit, as always, to the wisdom of Kevin.

Just know that this has been a staple of pipe smokers in Japan since 1570 and I thought it warranted a bit of attention on our site.

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Enjoy your Kiseru and Kizami tobacco, tobacco is hard to come by in the states.

I used Bali Shag (blue pouch)in mine or any tobacco that is shag cut.

Roll up a very small pinch so as to overfill the bowl, not being to neat about it, makes it easier to light.

You will get about 3 or 4 puffs from the pinch, then slap the pipe against your hand with the bowl going over your hand and the burnt tobacco will fall out,if not there is still un-burnt tobacco in the bowl.
Enjoy
Tom

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Cortez said the following:

It wouldn't surprise me to see it get moderated out of existence under Rule #7. There have been threads about other types of Eastern smoking implements, and Kevin said: etc.

And, very true.
The following is my opinion, and has nothing to do with policy.
What Cortez mentioned and quoted is true. However; the ritualistic and cultural basis for the Japanese "ritual" of utilizing the Kisegu is different than an e-cigarette or a hookah.
I don't believe that (a Kisegu) is a fad, or a naughty way to enjoy tobacco. e.g. a Hookah, or nicotine via an e-cigarette or e-pipe.

Personally; I believe, the ritual of smoking and enjoying one puff at a time, is different than smoking a hookah because you can get any flavor (including grape of all God forsaken flavors), or just to satisfy a need for nicotine.

Just my two cents, and there is definitely room for debate.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
Thank you, Lawrence. Those were my thoughts on the matter when I started this thread. Plus, I must admit, I really wanted to show off this beautiful piece of Asian craftsmanship.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Yup. I don't have any skin in the game, so to speak, and I personally think the pipe is beautiful. It's not mainstream, but then again neither are native American calumet and calinite stone pipes. I just wanted to give Dr. John a heads-up so he could brace himself in the event he was sanctioned in some way. Perhaps, back when PM.com wasn't so firmly established, attitudes concerning issues like this were more defensive of the publication's image and business plan.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I like it and wish we had access to this tobacco and pipe in the US. Thanks for sharing!

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Buster, I got my 2nd one from Cupojoes, a Tsuge.
Pipes are no problem in the states, it's the tobacco that's hard to come by.
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.