PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
For some time now, I have been looking at the Kiribi Pipe Lighters, specifically the Kiribi Kaubto. Now, let me start by saying, that I currently use a simple Zippo pipe lighter and I have never had any issues with it. In fact, quite the opposite. It works great, lights my pipe, and doesn't use a great deal of fluid (I've had mine for 3 years and I haven't even finished 1 can of the fluid). That being said, I can't take my eyes off of the Kiribi lighters. They just look so damn cool! So, here are the questions I would like to discuss...Is it worth it to buy an $80 lighter simply because it looks cool when my $15 one works very well? In your opinions, do the aesthetics of the lighter add, in any way, to the pipe smoking experience? Is it foolish to spend that much money on a lighter, when the vehicle of our hobby (the pipes) can be so expensive?
-Sean

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
The Kiribi's are definitely lookers. I like their style and wish I could get one. I'm sure they light well, so that could be an add to the pipe smoking experience. Other than that, I don't see how else they could add to the experience that zippo's and other lighters can't. Is it foolish to spend that much money on a lighter? I don't think so. What I think about it is if you want to spend that much on a lighter and have the means to, by all means, more power to you. I'll say this though, if I had $80 to throw around and I had no other pipes/tobacco/skateboarding stuff that I wanted to get, I'd definitely get myself one of those.
Now my question is
(I've had mine for 3 years and I haven't even finished 1 can of the fluid).
How in the world did you achieve this feat?! Lol. I bought my first can of zippo fluid this year, January maybe, and it only lasted me a couple of months. I use my zippos primarily to light my pipes.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
In your opinions, do the aesthetics of the lighter add, in any way, to the pipe smoking experience?
Good question. I can totally appreciate a thing of beauty, but at the same time, if a much less expensive item performs just as well, I have a hard time paying more.
The exception is if the cheaper item looks like total crap. As far as a zippo is concerned, that is not the case. A zippo looks nice in it's own way.
In fact, it's why I originally bought a $40 Colibri instead of a $100 Corona. I couldn't justify the cost of the Old Boy even though it looks nicer (to my eyes) than the Colibri. I did finally give in to the Old Boy after my Colibri died however (with the idea that it will last longer and thus be worth the extra $$.)
Overall, I would say that if an item gives you pleasure, it's worth the extra money.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
How funny. I've been on a lighter buying kick the last 4 days on ebay. Some zippos, and some vintage old lighters. One that looks exactly like the Kiribi. I have spent about 250.00 so far. Now, do they light my pipes better than my go too strike-anywhere matches? No. Are they more fun? Unquestionably. Does it make the pipe smoking experience better... perhaps, perhaps not. But, I can always sell these for what I paid if I had to, and they look quite at home nestled amongst my pipes. Did I need to spend that much.. no, but I wanted to, and have no regrets. If you have the income, and you want it, then buy it. Life is short, and you can't take it with you!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Can't have a thread like this without a picture! Kiribi Kaubto, $80 at Milan Tobacconists (site sponsor).

KiribiKabutoPipeLighterExample.jpg

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Aquilas, there is a very simple answer to your question...I'm don't smoke that often. Up until last August, I didn't have a place where I could smoke without it bothering my then girlfirend (now wife). She has pretty bad allergies, and most of the time, it would bother her. We bought a house in August, and I can go down to my room (mancave, if you will) and smoke my pipe there without it bothering her allergies. All that being said, I still don't smoke all that often, maybe two or three times a month.
I did finally give in to the Old Boy after my Colibri died however
So, numbersix, has having the more expensive lighter enhanced your pipe smoking experience in any way? Do you draw more pleasure from seeing the flame dancing atop your Corona anymore than you did on the Colibir?

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Thanks for posting the picture Cortez. I still can't seem to get the picture posting on this forum down.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
So, numbersix, has having the more expensive lighter enhanced your pipe smoking experience in any way? Do you draw more pleasure from seeing the flame dancing atop your Corona anymore than you did on the Colibir?
I think so. I will admit that even early on the Old Boy was the lighter I coveted - but my head said go with the Colibri. That said, no lighter that I've used is "perfect". Each one brings plusses and minuses.
What I appreciate most about the Old Boy (besides its looks) is the gentle flame. It doesn't super heat the tobacco like my Colibri did. For me, that alone is worth the extra bucks since it definitely does increase the enjoyment of a smoke.

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
I just looked at the picture you posted (on your pipe lighter comparason post) of the Old Boy. It has a similar look to the Kiribi. What kind of fuel does it use? Is it a pain to refill? In my cigar smoking days, I had a few lighters that used the compressed butane, and they were a big pain to refill. I usually ended up with more fuel on my hands than in the lighter.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I just looked at the picture you posted (on your pipe lighter comparason post) of the Old Boy. It has a similar look to the Kiribi. What kind of fuel does it use? Is it a pain to refill? In my cigar smoking days, I had a few lighters that used the compressed butane, and they were a big pain to refill. I usually ended up with more fuel on my hands than in the lighter.
I find it to be very easy - just press and you're done. If the butane lighter you had spilled out, my guess(?) is that the nozzle wasn't compatible with the can's nozzle.
The only drawback (but also a positive) is that the butane nozzle on the Old Boy has a screw cap over it whereas my Colibri had no covering (so one less step when filling).
But this is also a positive in that the Old Boy's nozzle is protected by the cap.

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Well, I finally purchased and recieved my Kiribi Kaubto. First off, let me say that I was sceptical about whether a ligher would actually have an impact on the pipe smoking experience. After using this new ligher for about a week, all I can say is wow!. The ligher is fantastic. It is simple, elegant, and beautiful. I would recommend anyone on the fence about spending a little more money (I got mine for $80 from Milan Tobacconists) on a lighter to do so. It's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.