PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Harko

Lurker
Aug 9, 2021
Hello everyone, I'm a new member and I've been perusing the site for a few days. I haven't been able to find precisely what I'm looking for so I thought I'd make a profile.

I'm looking at the Kiribi Kabuto and Takara models, but I'm having a hard time getting at the differences between the two. I'm hoping someone has maybe owned both and could provide some feedback on the respective experiences.

I was also looking at the Old Boy, but just from reading folks' experiences here with the Kiribis, it seems like they're worth looking at too. I'm perfectly fine with a soft flame butane, it's what I use now, I'm just looking to class it up a bit.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you for taking the time to share your experiences!

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I have a Kiribi Kabuto Mizo Silver lighter that I've had for a few years now. I love it and really haven't had any issues. The Kiribi flints are pretty reasonable price-wise as well.

The only slight issue I've ever had was the tiny little brass plunger on the end of the flint spring fell off when I was changing a flint one time. I was outside and couldn't find it, so I called smokingpipes.com to let them know and they send me a brand new spring and screwcap with the plunger that was delivered in about 2 days.

Other than that, I've really enjoyed it. Keep it reasonably clean around the flame port, and it'll last forever.

Enjoy!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Harko

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Either the Kiribi with or without the Calamari will get you lit, but the Old Boy has the 3rd leg that just gets the tamping job done!

I have a Peterson that was purchased on here that works wonderfully, but I don't grab it as much due to the lack of the tamper. The forum member that sold it to me even made sure that I knew prior to purchasing (great guy) and can now only assume that was his reason of letting her go.

Good luck and let us know what you decided to purchase!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Harko

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
And it‘s not a squid, it’s a kraken.
The kraken was an octopus, the image on the lighter has a squid's mantle.

"Available in either a silvery Black or the gold coin-like Brass seen here, each lighter is etched with the Kiribi logo and the iconic giant squid on opposite faces."

Reactions: Harko

Harko

Lurker
Aug 9, 2021
Either the Kiribi with or without the Calamari will get you lit, but the Old Boy has the 3rd leg that just gets the tamping job done!

I have a Peterson that was purchased on here that works wonderfully, but I don't grab it as much due to the lack of the tamper. The forum member that sold it to me even made sure that I knew prior to purchasing (great guy) and can now only assume that was his reason of letting her go.

Good luck and let us know what you decided to purchase!

Yeah I was really into the Old Boy before I just happened to read some Kiribi posts here and I found a bargain at my local tobacconist for a Takara from another pipe smoker. I remembered that I used to have a Vector with a tamper, that lighter was kind of junk, but I didn't actually use the tamper that much. I think I ended up using my tamper-poker tool thing I have much more than the lighter tool. So I do like the Old Boy's tool, but it's not a big deal breaker for me

Reactions: SpookedPiper