PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
Does anyone have any information on "King's Ransom" pipes? So far all I can find is a very loose possible connection to Comoy's. Thing is it lacks any markings to confirm this connection. No classic "C" inlay in stem, stem is marked "KR". The pipe in question is a sand blasted Oom Paul. Trying to determine quality over price as a quality smoker
Thanks

Draco

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
"Who Made That Pipe" lists it as maker unknown, but made in England. Usually Comoys made pipes have their shape number and the COM is in the Comoys style.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
King Ransom pipes were made by John Redman Ltd............and to Mr SS Jones, Dulwich pipes were made by

G. Huybrecht

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Interesting stuff Jensen (and welcome to the forum!) I had not heard of John Redman, there is a small section on them on pipepedia.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/John_Redman_Ltd./British_Empire_Pipe_Co.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I found a letterfrom 11 august 1988 from Redman were they offered me 1. Supreme quality at £ 20 each

2 Special at £ 15 3 a lower grade with flaws at £ 10 and 4 they told me that Kings Ransom series has now been

deleted.

I have a Redman shape card from the 60/70ties.On page 10 we have special shapes for King Ransom series (drawings)

602 apple,601 bent prince,605 Acorn,604 Woodstock and 606 VAT (larger model603)
Jorgen

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
Jensen, thanks for the info. Any idea where the Kings Ransom pipes fall quality wise? The one in question is an Oom Paul.
Thanks

Dave

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
No,

I have a catalog were no less than 22 grades are mentioned but not the Kings Ransom - it is only in the

shape card. But if it is in material sent out tobacconists the quality can not be to bad.
I know they also made a Kings Imperial.They were pipes with (big) fills. I have two bents (very big ones)

good pipes to smoke and in the very cheap end but also low quality I think I must say.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@Jorgen - thanks so much for contributing. Without replies like yours and this type of thread, this info would be lost to time.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
If you want to know a little more about John Redman go to Rebornpipes and write Kings Imperial.After the repair

there is a small informative text.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Pipes Magazine Radio podcast interviewed Stephen Willett this week. His most memorable pipe experience was having dinner in the UK with John Redman and Mr. Dunhill.

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
Thanks everyone for the great feedback and info. I will post some pictures soon of how it looks as bought and hopefully sometime in the future how it looks after I can work on it:)

Status
Not open for further replies.