PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
So I created an account a few years ago hoping to quit cigarettes and replace with a pipe as my father and grandfather did the same. It didn't really go anywhere and I put it on the back burner.

Happy to say I finally quit a 30 year pack a day+ habit and haven't had a cigarette in over two months! Yay!

I finally took up the pipe a few times a week because I need one vice. Lol

So anyway finally looking to contribute and learn. I've tried a few different Mac Baren and Stanwell blends thus far.

Cleaned a few of my father's pipes back to smoking shape after not being used since 2002ish and purchased a few cheap ones myself. Actual briar not Dr. Grabow or anything. And thus far have been enjoying it especially while fly fishing!

So hello from Darien, CT again and this time I think I'll stick around!!

Joe
G'day and welcome from Oz Joe.

Pipes got me off a serious cigarette addiction after many failed quit attempts.
The blends I choose are mild [because I inhale] and with mild nicotine.
Despite smoking several bowls a day, I no longer crave a smoke. I simply enjoy the habit.
Best of all was that once I'd adjusted to the pipe, I have not craved a ciggie once.

Reactions: jp267nh

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
G'day and welcome from Oz Joe.

Pipes got me off a serious cigarette addiction after many failed quit attempts.
The blends I choose are mild [because I inhale] and with mild nicotine.
Despite smoking several bowls a day, I no longer crave a smoke. I simply enjoy the habit.
Best of all was that once I'd adjusted to the pipe, I have not craved a ciggie once.
Thank you for the welcome! Hope all is well down under. Can't wait to get back to Oz one of these days....

Congrats on quitting the cigs!

So far I've been sticking with fairly mild aromatics myself until I figure out what I enjoy most. Cornell Diehl Green River Vanilla is slightly in the lead thus far. I inhale here and there, but I'm trying not to. I think it's just a case of being used to inhaling cigs. Getting better with it though. I do three bowls on average a day. I work from home most days so it's easy to grab the laptop and go sit on the screen porch and puff while working. Much more difficult when I need to go into my office in NYC.

I'm at the point where just the passing smell of a cig makes me ill. I have no interest or desire at this point to ever pick them up again. Yuck! ?

Thanks again for the kind welcome!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and chopper

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from Florida. Pay attention the next time you inhale. You will get absolutely no flavor when you inhale. I don't know why this phenomena exists but it does. My conclusion is that the pipe Gods are telling you not to inhale if you really want to enjoy your pipe.

I would recommend you trying the following blends. You will need to read up and watch videos of people smoking flakes.
Capstan Blue Flake
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
Peterson Navy Rolls and University Flake

You might also want to check out tobaccoreviews.com. Tons of good info, ignore the idiots.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and jp267nh

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
Welcome from Florida. Pay attention the next time you inhale. You will get absolutely no flavor when you inhale. I don't know why this phenomena exists but it does. My conclusion is that the pipe Gods are telling you not to inhale if you really want to enjoy your pipe.

I would recommend you trying the following blends. You will need to read up and watch videos of people smoking flakes.
Capstan Blue Flake
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
Peterson Navy Rolls and University Flake

You might also want to check out tobaccoreviews.com. Tons of good info, ignore the idiots.
Awesome! Thanks! Been trying way too many tobaccos. Lol Have another 18 packs of bulk stuff coming tomorrow, but I'm starting to figure out what I like best now so I imagine that will go down. The longer I've been piping the less I get an urge to inhale which is good! Thanks again!

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Thank you for the welcome! Hope all is well down under. Can't wait to get back to Oz one of these days....

Congrats on quitting the cigs!

So far I've been sticking with fairly mild aromatics myself until I figure out what I enjoy most. Cornell Diehl Green River Vanilla is slightly in the lead thus far. I inhale here and there, but I'm trying not to. I think it's just a case of being used to inhaling cigs. Getting better with it though. I do three bowls on average a day. I work from home most days so it's easy to grab the laptop and go sit on the screen porch and puff while working. Much more difficult when I need to go into my office in NYC.

I'm at the point where just the passing smell of a cig makes me ill. I have no interest or desire at this point to ever pick them up again. Yuck! ?

Thanks again for the kind welcome!
You're welcome and thanks. Congrats to you also.
After 35 years of addiction, quit attempts were torture. Switching to a pipe was easy by comparison [It's mainly psychological I think because a puff on a pipe was better than nothing]

Is it not weird how once the addiction is broken, many of us find cigarette smoke repugnant?
Now I refuse to allow cigarettes to be smoked in my car because the stink is almost impossible to remove.

To be honest I really didn't care for whining anti-smokers who were bothered by my cigarette smoke and would smoke anywhere I pleased [except when kids were in the room or car]
It's only now that I'm free from the addiction that I get how awful ciggie smoke is for many.

Each morning when I awoke I could smell the stale cigarette smoke in my home but since switching to a pipe over 11 years ago, I rarely smell stale pipe tobacco smoke.

I'm convinced that the 300+ chemicals that are added to cigarette tobacco that makes the difference - I'm also convinced that some of those added chems are even more addictive than the nicotine.

Haven't tried Green River Vanilla myself [tobacco is not only really expensive here in Nanny State Australia - $125 for a lousy 50 grams - range of blends is minimal] but sounds like a blend I'd like.
You might like to try Macbarens Vanilla Cream Flake/Mixture. It's mild and not at all goopy - though it is one of those blends that needs to rest for a week after opening when it tastes much better.

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
You're welcome and thanks. Congrats to you also.
After 35 years of addiction, quit attempts were torture. Switching to a pipe was easy by comparison [It's mainly psychological I think because a puff on a pipe was better than nothing]

Is it not weird how once the addiction is broken, many of us find cigarette smoke repugnant?
Now I refuse to allow cigarettes to be smoked in my car because the stink is almost impossible to remove.

To be honest I really didn't care for whining anti-smokers who were bothered by my cigarette smoke and would smoke anywhere I pleased [except when kids were in the room or car]
It's only now that I'm free from the addiction that I get how awful ciggie smoke is for many.

Each morning when I awoke I could smell the stale cigarette smoke in my home but since switching to a pipe over 11 years ago, I rarely smell stale pipe tobacco smoke.

I'm convinced that the 300+ chemicals that are added to cigarette tobacco that makes the difference - I'm also convinced that some of those added chems are even more addictive than the nicotine.

Haven't tried Green River Vanilla myself [tobacco is not only really expensive here in Nanny State Australia - $125 for a lousy 50 grams - range of blends is minimal] but sounds like a blend I'd like.
You might like to try Macbarens Vanilla Cream Flake/Mixture. It's mild and not at all goopy - though it is one of those blends that needs to rest for a week after opening when it tastes much better.
Thanks so much. I think there's some truth to your chemical theory. Even when I smoked Nat Sherman cigarettes which were 100% natural my clothes/hair etc didn't smell as bad. Now it appears the evil empire of Philip Morris or their spinoff has bought Nat Sherman and ruined them. Last pack I smoked six months ago was awful. Nothing like the old Nat Sherman. Thanks for the suggestions I'll try looking for them! Though I just stocked up on a few tobaccos recently. Enough for a week anyway! :)

Attachments

• 20211022_114503.jpg
    20211022_114503.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211022_114519.jpg
    20211022_114519.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211022_114549.jpg
    20211022_114549.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20211022_114607.jpg
    20211022_114607.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211022_114907.jpg
    20211022_114907.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Thanks so much. I think there's some truth to your chemical theory. Even when I smoked Nat Sherman cigarettes which were 100% natural my clothes/hair etc didn't smell as bad. Now it appears the evil empire of Philip Morris or their spinoff has bought Nat Sherman and ruined them. Last pack I smoked six months ago was awful. Nothing like the old Nat Sherman. Thanks for the suggestions I'll try looking for them! Though I just stocked up on a few tobaccos recently. Enough for a week anyway! :)
I'm unable to read most of those labels but it looks like you got yourself a nice range of blends there.
Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.