PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
I'm a massive fan of both Lexington's Town Branch Bourbon and Woodford Reserve, they are usually my go-to for an uncomplicated drink. Recently I've had the itch to explore something else though - any other Kentucky bourbons or ryes you fine gents can recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kilgore Trout
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Knob Creek was always my go-to. Distilled at an honest 100 proof, and aged 9 years, at an affordable price. Their single barrel is also very nice, and still affordable. Maker’s Mark is good, but began to taste watered down once I started drinking Knob Creek and other 100+ proofs. One that flies under the radar, and is very nice, is Elijah Craig Small Batch. Probably the best value in bourbon right now, in my opinion. Very nice.

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
Wild Turkey 101, you can just stop there. If you can find it Henry McKenna BiB is amazing, but going up in price. Old Forrester Rye is good, so is Rittenhouse BiB.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Elijah Craig Small Batch, as noted, is solid. Try any of the Basil Hayden’s expressions, Blanton’s if you can find it, Black Maple Hills, Johnny Drum, anything from Kentucky Owl, Stagg Jr., McKenna 10yr is good, Eagle Rare 10yr is a solid bottle and fairly cheap, Angel’s Envy isn’t a bad buy for something a little different, some of the Knob Creek expressions can be pretty good, I like mostly all of the EH Taylor expressions, and the single barrel Four Roses is a good bottle, too.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Barrelproof's recommendations are solid. I would add Willett, Jefferson's, Elmer T. Lee, and Michter's to it. Not a huge Knob Creek fan (it's good, not great), but their recent 2001 14 year offering (quite pricey at $130 here) is one of the better bourbons I've ever had.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
We and Poles do have Rye Vodkas ,but for the variety sake, next time I probably will buy some Rye whiskies ,for the first time in my life

Vodka and I have a special but sometimes very troubled relationship - Koskenkorva is among my favourites, good stuff.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll be sure to check some of them out.

• Wow
Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
My daily pour these days is Knob Creek, and I'll have Bulleit Rye if I'm making a cocktail or want something a little spicier. Both of these are available at my local Costco for about 35-40 bucks for a 1.75 L. Others to try that haven't been mentioned include Bookers (pretty spendy these days. Used to be 40-50 bucks, but they took it off the market and re-released at 80-100), Bakers (almost as good as Bookers), Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Russell's Reserve, Evan Williams 10 yr, and Buffalo Trace.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Barrelproof's recommendations are solid. I would add Willett, Jefferson's, Elmer T. Lee, and Michter's to it. Not a huge Knob Creek fan (it's good, not great), but their recent 2001 14 year offering (quite pricey at $130 here) is one of the better bourbons I've ever had.

Seconded. And if you find any Willett or Elmer T Lee and you decide against it, I’d gladly work something out with you to get my hands on it!

Reactions: Ryszard

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Yup, Evan Williams. Independent distillery. Don't let the very reasonable price of this whisky chase you away. Hits WAY above its weight. Smooth. Only the very most expensive, top-shelf labels are better and, then, not by much.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Maker's Mark and Bulleit Frontier are excellent bourbons and Jim Beam Pre Prohibition is an excellent rye whiskey.

Woodford Reserve, Jim Beam Devil's Cut, Knob Creek and Wild Turkey 101 are also very good.

I found Four Roses to be just so so.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: prndl and Ryszard

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Yup, Evan Williams. Independent distillery. Don't let the very reasonable price of this whisky chase you away. Hits WAY above its weight. Smooth. Only the very most expensive, top-shelf labels are better and, then, not by much.
I drink Evan Williams Black Label all the time as I can seldom afford the top shelf stuff, and I find there's not much that will touch it at twice the price. I picked up a bottle of Jim Beam Black Label the other day and was not impressed, but George Dickel 12 year was pretty good.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
A lot of good suggestions....adding to the pile, here are some very consistent, shelf-available (in most places) bourbons/ryes:

Old Forester Prohibition 1920 -Ther are four 'date' releases (which are so far normal stoxking items). The 1920 is an excellent high-proof bourbon at a great price. I find this beats the pants off of most high-proofs you find on the shelf in terms of consistency. Can't recomend this enough for high-proof fans/curious.

Old Grandad 114- Similar vein to above, getting hit or miss for availability in some places.

Russells reserve Rye/Russell Reserve Bourbon (Wild Turkey) : Wild Turkey makes great bkurbin and its aged expressions just don't get picked over like other distilleries. 6 year (rye) and 10 year (bourbon) usually available in better-stocked stores. You can sub in Rare Breed here as well.

Maker Mark Cask strength- Great flavor in a higher-proof, if you take on the rocks it mellows naturally with the ice melting.

Bourbon, like pipe tobacco, is a natural product and can vary in taste/quality significantly in many of the "got to chase" big name single barrel releases. The above releases (to me) are consistent season after season with taste to rival 80%+ of the market.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Status
Not open for further replies.