PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I bought this album years ago at a thrift store purely because of the cover art. It turned out to be a solid album. Might just have to give it a spin today.

TheGamblerAlbumCover.jpg

We also have the Kenny and Dolly Christmas record and he's holding a cob on the back cover.

A-Christmas-To-Remember-Kenny-Rogers-Dolly-og1-1196x628.png

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I met him once back in about 84. A couple of friends and I had flown a 172 to Des Moines, IA to get some hours. The ramp guy came out and asked us to move our plane to one side of the ramp to make room because Kenny Rogers was coming in. He had a concert that night and arrived in a 727 charter. He took the time to walk across the ramp and thank us for moving our plane. How he’d have even known we’d moved I can only guess. He gave us some autographed pictures, thanked us again and headed out. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
Ah man, used to play the hell out if his older stuff growing up..
His rendition of San Francisco Mabel Joy is still one haunting favorite of mine...

By the way, I swear growing up on the song Lucille, I thought he was saying she left him with "four hundred children and the crops in the field"

....and use to think.....well of course she left, who wouldn't?

Two was bad enough ...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
He didn't write songs so much, but he could sing them and make them his own. Like all the greats, he acted his songs as much as sang them. RIP, and we'll keep listening.

Reactions: BlueMaxx

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
renfield, thank you for that great firsthand memory. Fame and celebrity bring out character good or bad, and clearly Rogers had his priorities right. You'll never forget that, as you would have never forgotten getting moved over with no graciousness shown. Decency matters. Good man. And a strong guy too; the flimsy people never think to take the trouble.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I met him once back in about 84. A couple of friends and I had flown a 172 to Des Moines, IA to get some hours. The ramp guy came out and asked us to move our plane to one side of the ramp to make room because Kenny Rogers was coming in. He had a concert that night and arrived in a 727 charter. He took the time to walk across the ramp and thank us for moving our plane. How he’d have even known we’d moved I can only guess. He gave us some autographed pictures, thanked us again and headed out. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy.
Hey another pilot! Got my private in a 172, now fly a 1976 A185F on floats. Cool story!

RIP Kenny.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Hey another pilot! Got my private in a 172, now fly a 1976 A185F on floats. Cool story!

RIP Kenny.
He said he was running late and was sorry he had to run, but he still took the time to go out of his way. A classy gesture I’ll not forget.

The 185 is a brute, pure utility. A little known hell of a plane.
I got my private in a 1947 C140. Conventional gear on a grass strip was a fun way to learn.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
He said he was running late and was sorry he had to run, but he still took the time to go out of his way. A classy gesture I’ll not forget.

The 185 is a brute, pure utility. A little known hell of a plane.
I got my private in a 1947 C140. Conventional gear on a grass strip was a fun way to learn.
Haha, that it is! That is why it may be little known elsewhere, but in Alaska it is probably the most popular bush plane, outside of maybe a PA-18, especially on water. An unmistakable sound the 185 flying overhead, with that ear piercing prop getting pulled by a full 300 horses, hahaha.

Rented a 172 for some night hours about a year after I started flying our 185. It felt like flying a go-cart with wings.

Wow a 140! Talk about a little known airplane! I learned on gravel. I’ll never forget the first time I landed on a paved strip. The squeal of the tires on touchdown surprised the hell out of me, hahaha.

Last edited:

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Wow a 140! Talk about a little known airplane! I learned on gravel. I’ll never forget the first time I landed on a paved strip. The squeal of the tires on touchdown surprised the hell out of me, hahaha.
Sounds familiar. The first time I landed on pavement it felt like greased ice. Talk about busy feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.