PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Disclaimer: This isn't really meant to be a full review, but more of a "first impressions" post to help get the conversation about this blend started.

I received my package of KBV Yoshimi's Out Shine today. It is a Virginia Oriental blend with a casing of honeysuckle and honeydew vodka. I opened it up and it smelled fantastic with lots of citrusy Virginia, some twanginess, a splash of musk from the Oriental, and just a bit of the melon casing coming through. I transferred it to a jar and the moisture level felt perfect, so I packed up one of my Savinelli 315KS pipes and lit it up. The tobacco took to the flame really well and the flavor was great. The interplay of taste between the Virginias and Orientals worked really well. The sweet, slightly malty and juicy Virginias lead with a bit of sourness and funk from the Orientals in the background. Hints of the honeysuckle/honeydew casing popped through at times early in the experience and it was quite complementary to the tobacco flavors. It was very mild overall and was mostly fleeting, but appreciated. The sweetness level was good for me and I really enjoyed this blend overall.

Jan 27, 2020
Considering that people generally don’t drink vodka for the taste, but rather a nice clean burn, I think it’s a bit misguided to use it to treat tobacco. One might argue that because it’s a favor vodka it would have a positive effect but personally I have never had a flavored vodka that I enjoyed. I found Yoshimi to have an unpleasant artifact from the casing, something akin to a grassy astringent taste.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
An outstanding blend IMO, and a perfect hot-weather smoke for me - arrived at a perfect meteorological moment! I do believe Yoshimi rather outshone KB on this one, yuk yuk. Outshine, BasMatica and Fat Old Sun are in my heavy rotation lately. Something about how they use the Orientals really hits the spot for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This seems to be a small batch business. Order now or wait for "the next train."

Status
Not open for further replies.