PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Technically, all re-selling where you advertise someone elses brand or show their logo without permission is considered trademark infringement. If I go on ebay and post "Sony Playstation for sale" then I'm already infringing on their trademark and they could take legal action if they wanted. Most companies won't bother, but others are very strict and will threaten you with a lawsuit or worse.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
What happened to Verge Engine RetroDrive? Did I miss it or what? I thought it was coming out in February?

Yes, we missed it. He did say Feb release on his instagram so I took my finger off the trigger, only to then see it listed as sold out. Ken told me he was surprised how fast it sold out. The description said he only did 4 pounds though, as it was a legit mistake. He realized after mixing 4 pounds that he used his fancy Decade Perique by mistake. It doesn't take long to sell 4 pounds of unicorn lol

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Yes, we missed it. He did say Feb release on his instagram so I took my finger off the trigger, only to then see it listed as sold out. Ken told me he was surprised how fast it sold out. The description said he only did 4 pounds though, as it was a legit mistake. He realized after mixing 4 pounds that he used his fancy Decade Perique by mistake. It doesn't take long to sell 4 pounds of unicorn lol
Thanks for the update, that's crappy....it went in a heartbeat ... weird that he would post on FB with a Feb release and release it early. Oh well... next time...

Reactions: BROBS

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I don't get why people are wringing their hands over missing out on a blend he admits he screwed up in production. This is not even painting a mustache over a masterpiece. This is spilling a can of paint on the canvas and then trying to sell it as a masterpiece. I mean come on.

• Haha
Reactions: dcon and BROBS

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
Technically, all re-selling where you advertise someone elses brand or show their logo without permission is considered trademark infringement. If I go on ebay and post "Sony Playstation for sale" then I'm already infringing on their trademark and they could take legal action if they wanted. Most companies won't bother, but others are very strict and will threaten you with a lawsuit or worse.
This is not illegal. See the first sale doctrine. There have been some changes recently or talk of it, I don’t know if it actually happened regarding international purchases.

Reactions: diamondback

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I don't get why people are wringing their hands over missing out on a blend he admits he screwed up in production. This is not even painting a mustache over a masterpiece. This is spilling a can of paint on the canvas and then trying to sell it as a masterpiece. I mean come on.
I highly doubt that's it's better than several blends I already own. I'm more irrigated over the fact that he decided to shoot it out prematurely.

The FB and Instagram marketing machine is completely wonky.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
This discussion is funny. It’s like everyone is rooting against KBVEN for some reason. I hope the accelerated aging of FVF is successful. As a consumer I’m glad he is trying these things.

If SG decides they want to defend a trademark violation they’ll send a cease and desist or more likely just call. I don’t really care.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
Another example. What if this guy got greedy and started purchasing Sutliff products to package and stating they were repackaged SG tobacco blends with his special sauce and processing. I think it is easy to see how this could be potentially harmful to SG. Some unwitting smoker, who has never smoked SG, purchases some and smokes it. Then declares "I paid $8 and ounce for this stuff and it tastes like Sutliff crap." You think that benefits SG?
That would be a clear case of fraud and is illegal under fraud law. Not the case here.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
This discussion is funny. It’s like everyone is rooting against KBVEN for some reason.

I sort of regret starting it. I'm hoping it at least brought some awareness to Ken's work, but yeah, it's been mostly a bunch of pissing & moaning about a dude who is just doing his thing and trying to whip up more goodies for us to smoke. Goodies that are accessible to pretty much all of us at just $13 for 50g shipped.

The internet is full of haters, so I'm not surprised, but most of the shit-talkers seem to have overlooked the fact that he does have some of his own blends as well, and those blends have been primarily well received.

There are doers in this world, and then there are talkers. And most of us are just talkers.

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm just going to tell myself the decade perique wasn't a noticeable difference ;)
I picked up a few tubs of it from Mark last year. He had held them for me. That stuff is magical. It's not actually 10 years old, it's 15 years old. Wonderfully fruity, unlike any Perique I've enjoyed with the exception of aged A & C Petersen made Escudo. The STG version need not apply.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Sorry, we do not have enough "Bas Matica" in stock to fulfill your order (-9 available). We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Man, this guy is no joke..stuff just flies off the shelf!
Some of these drops must be minuscule amounts. I’m not going to sit on Instagram to try to figure out when a tiny amount of tobacco is available. I go on his site periodically and see what’s available. Most the time it’s not much.

I appreciate what he’s doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.