PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Actually 'Burnt Ends' looks pretty good and selling it 'as is' exposes him to no issues. The other stuff will be interesting to see how it plays out. Having seen all these issues before I am sure an amicable resolution will be found.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
No. Blenders take raw leaf and create masterpieces out of it. KBV takes masterpieces and draws mustaches on them.

I know you consider the guy a hack, and maybe he is, I don't know. But one thing that's clear is that he's found a willing audience for "masterpieces with mustaches on them". I find that part of his story sort of fascinating. But like I mentioned earlier, his audience seems to be experienced smokers who are looking for something novel. I suspect smoking Zen Pants doesn't mean anything unless you've already smoked a lot of Penzance and are in on the joke.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
@verporchting +100. If I buy a bottle of Johnnie Walker Red and add something to it or run it through the still a second time and add the words 'Improved' to the label which is identical to the original label I have infringed the owners rights.

Yep, and that would be the least of your worries because the Feds would come down on you like a ton of bricks for violations of numerous liquor laws. But, your point remains valid.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Yup, never the bad guy for protecting your legal rights against those who are breaking the law.

Ever.

It’s a good point however to note there’s a decent chance that SG actually is aware of the use of their label and approved of it through contractual agreements, freely given permission or just a handshake agreement between gentleman and that would indeed make speculation immaterial because there would be no infringement. We may never know. Just an interesting topic to contemplate. I’m actually inclined to think that’s the case because I hate to assume the worst about people when there’s a perfectly legal and reasonable explanation.

My comments about the legality were mere speculation on the hypothetical question about using a trademarked label without permission - even if the result is something fantastic and tasty. Just saying.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yup, never the bad guy for protecting your legal rights against those who are breaking the law.

Ever.

It’s a good point however to note there’s a decent chance that SG actually is aware of the use of their label and approved of it through contractual agreements, freely given permission or just a handshake agreement between gentleman and that would indeed make speculation immaterial because there would be no infringement. We may never know. Just an interesting topic to contemplate. I’m actually inclined to think that’s the case because I hate to assume the worst about people when there’s a perfectly legal and reasonable explanation.

My comments about the legality were mere speculation on the hypothetical question about using a trademarked label without permission - even if the result is something fantastic and tasty. Just saying.

You could send his label to SG if you want to know for certain. It may be that he simply doesn't realize he can't do it. It could be anything. I don't care one way or the other, I'm more than satisfied with the tobacco I've bought from SG.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just curious but is this legal from a trademark perspective?

View attachment 17230
Only if he has permission from SG to use the blend name and the label.

There's a reason why companies like Warner Bros maintain an army of red eyed saw toothed attorneys with blood and entrails dripping off their hands.

Given the 2016 FDA Deeming Regs, none of these blends are "legal".

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
I find the debate about legality of the trademark entertaining! I just hear something new and - boom - TAD kicks in lol
Realistically if one was concerned that much about the rules, private sale of tobacco is prohibited in my jurisdiction at least... must be a registered tobacconist. Yet I see sales all the time. People seem to see the “rules” more as “guidelines” lol think the pirates code in Disney’s pirates of the Caribbean! (Read in pirates accent)

Reactions: artvandelay007

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
He likely sold 5-10 pounds of it in smaller portions in a day or two. Maybe he’ll get a letter in about 6 months, maybe not, but it seems he generated a fair bit of collateral advertising through it all.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Interestingly the website has the options "Ken Byron blends", and "Other people's blends". This matured FVF is under "Ken Byron blends" which is problematic, and false, as it seems that unlike other house blends there is no addition to the flake, just further processing. And it is the only house blend that's using a modified original label.

Copyright laws have clarified all the points mentioned above for a hundred years or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.