Keeping a Lid On It - Any Office Pipers Here?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I have started keeping a pipe or two at my desk. I work in an office with 30 other people, and I want to be as respectful as possible regarding the smell, especially since I work in California, where tobacco is, um, "under appreciated".

Obviously I smoke outdoors only, but when I bring my pipe back inside with me I want to minimize the smell that folks around my desk have to deal with. Sometimes I bring half a bowl back up with me, saving it for later. Is there a type of pipe cap that would help keep most of the smell down? Or perhaps I should just stuff everything into an airtight tupperware? Tupperware isn't very sexy though, and I'm not crazy about that idea.

Anyone here have similar problems? Solutions they can share? Thanks!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I keep mine in the car. Smoke to and from work sometimes (40 minute commute) and if I run errands during the day I'll sometimes pick up a few tokes as well.

I would not use tupperware, assume it would get rancid pretty fast.
what about the summer? You leave it in the car then?

• Wow
Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
My commute is only 5 miles, so the ride in the truck isn't long enough to satisfy me. I finish it while I walk 4 blocks from the affordable parking garage to my building, and generally lurk outside for a bit while I finish.

Furthermore, I have a couple pouches of OTC stuff at my desk so that I can step out for a smoke break. My employer is very chill about such things and I'm free to come and go as I please. I generally keep the pack small though, so it's just a 20-25 minute break.

Sounds like I should be keeping my pipe in a desk drawer with a bag of cheap coffee beans. Good call!

Oh, and here's my truck. The love of my life puffy

Rebub24

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2019
I would say get either a smoke odor eliminator candle or a lamp berge to keep at your desk if it's allowed in your office.

Reactions: diamondback

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I have started keeping a pipe or two at my desk. I work in an office with 30 other people, and I want to be as respectful as possible regarding the smell, especially since I work in California, where tobacco is, um, "under appreciated".

Obviously I smoke outdoors only, but when I bring my pipe back inside with me I want to minimize the smell that folks around my desk have to deal with. Sometimes I bring half a bowl back up with me, saving it for later. Is there a type of pipe cap that would help keep most of the smell down? Or perhaps I should just stuff everything into an airtight tupperware? Tupperware isn't very sexy though, and I'm not crazy about that idea.

Anyone here have similar problems? Solutions they can share? Thanks!

does rubber stopper help? or natural cork?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I usually don't smoke much in the summer except in the evenings after work. But, I would still leave it in the car - I use sun shades in the summer to keep interior from cooking during the day anyway.
still way too hot and will soften/oxidize the stem.

Reactions: diamondback

Dissident_Mantis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2020
You know what's funny? I was actually just thinking about the same thing before I logged on. I am especially concerned about bringing my half smoked bowl back into the office. Non-smokers tend to be able to detect that smell better and I don't want to bother anyone. I am also concerned about keeping my ash from getting everywhere when I bring up a half smoked bowl. I'm considering whittling a champagne cork down to use as a bowl cap.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I'm not an office guy at this stage however I'll make a suggestion. A bowl partly filled with partly burnt tobacco is particularly smelly. Why not just fill the bowl with what you expect to finish? If there is any left over dump it. May sound wasteful but it'll go a long way toward helping with the smell.

Toyota trucks are great! Here are some photos of my 1989 Toyota. That truck got me everywhere and was so simple that even I could work on it. Lots of times I'd encounter a problem in some remote place but get her running with what I had on hand in the random assortment of stuff in the bed toolbox. That truck didn't even have power steering. The power steering wasn't broken, it just didn't have any. Sadly when I left to rejoin my wife in Europe I sold it; I just couldn't justify keeping it in storage. I let her go cheap to a nice native American couple who needed a rig for hunting. It had just shy of 400,000 miles on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.