SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 8, 2013
For anyone who hasn't heard the news yet.... http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/very-sad-news
If I'm not mistaken, among many of us, some of our favorite posts were those we seem to have dubbed FishBanjo's "Keeping It Smokey" posts. For good reason... He'd tell us in these posts a little about what was going on with his life, while he clenched a remarkable pipe, in hat, with mirrored aviator sunglasses, and nice scenery behind him.... often a tree or some such. At which point we'd "ooooh" and "ahhhh" over said pipe or his choice in hat, or comment in his post in any other possible way. And lets face it, the man had great taste in pipes! So imagine my surprise when he asked MY advice some time ago on high grade Nordings..... Shortly after, Fish acquired a high grade Nording with what Jesse likes to call a "bee's butt." And shortly after that, he posted his typical "Keeping It Smokey" post with said Bee's Butt Nording hanging from his jaw, aviator shades on, whatever his hat of choice was that day.... I think in front of a tree.
So with having very few pipes in common with him.... because his collection of pipes is far more awesome than most of ours, it's only fitting that I "Keep It Smokey" in his honor with my very own Nording Bee's Butt. And so....
Keeping it smokey with a Nording grade 20 and a blend of my own called Oxford's Wake. Rest In Peace, Fish. This one's for you.
zHiNj0G.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Please read this also. Sante was a legend in the fly fishing community and very people in the pipe community know about his legacy there.
http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=122704
He apparently died during or just after smoking his pipe. Epic.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I recall a few of his "Keeping It Smokey" posts in which he clenched nothing more than a lowly cob.
Yeah, banjo was more about the experience than the grade. He loved everything about pipe smoking.

Reactions: gamzultovah

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I don't have a bamboo, & didn't have time to do banjo justice tonight, but tomorrow a.m. I'll pull my wildest bent artisan, my first John Lakatosh, & fire it up with my last remaining bowlful of Frog Morton.
Somehow nothing less seems decent for a tribute to our friend.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
While I didn't really know Sante, I do recall reading some of his posts. I am moved by the outpouring of love and respect doled out by the members of this forum.
May his memory be a blessing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Somehow I missed this, and I feel badly about not having responded. From his brief comments without a hint of self-pity, I knew he was enduring an incredible struggle to survive, never losing his generous social nature and capacity for fun, including his joy in his pipes, blends, fly rods, and many other dimensions of his life. Fish' sent me my first Meerschaum pipe, an estate that was what I would have chosen for myself. I always watched for his posts showing him smoking his wonderful selection of pipes, real masterpieces among them, and all worth seeing. I kept the faith that he'd be with us a long time to come, despite what was obviously tough road. He was a gutsy guy, truly brave, and I'll miss him on here.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
100% Tom. One phrase that always seemed to me to describe banjo totally was, as our Brit fiends say, "Press on regardless." No whines, no poor poor pitiful me, just matter of fact, on to the next worthy thing in life. Hardly the worst attitude in the world. It'd make a good epitaph. :)
B