PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
I recently bought an LHS Purex Superfine. It has never been smoked and it is probably around 50 years old. I can't bring myself to be the first one to smoke it so it will probably stay as is. Does anyone else keep an older pipe unsmoked?

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
In a concurrent thread, I talk about a NOS Comoy's I picked up in November. When it arrived at my house and I unwrapped it, I did think for a moment that this pipe would have greater value if it remained unsmoked, then I thought "bet this'll be a flake smoking machine" and I fired her up. I think pipes are made for smoking. Enjoy your new acquisition! Bet it'll be a great smoker.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I bought a pipe new and it was much larger in capacity that I would smoke so it remained unsmoked by me and I then traded it toward another pipe that was unsmoked by its previous owner and I've happily smoked it. I would only keep a pipe in an unsmoked condition if it did not fit my smoking needs other than that a match would find the tobacco in its bowl.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
I bought a unsmoked AAL BORG FREEHAND 2 years ago and I didn't smoke until this year's new year day.

Now I enjoy to smoke so much and really regret that I didn't smoke before.

I could enjoy past 2 year with a nice pipe. Well your choice is yours.

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
Thanks for the push guys. I will definitely break it in once the weather warms up a bit.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Smoke it!! That pipe will look great on a shelf, but is that why it was made?
Through the years I too have been inclined to buy 'precious' things and keep them in pristine condition. But with age, I have come to realize that all this has gotten me is a house full of stuff. I vowed recently to stop purchasing 'museum pieces' and start enjoying what I have. You only live once. Enjoy it.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I have a highlander meer that hasn't been smoked. I am in the same boat having to bring myself to smoke it. I love the white. I keep thinking about it but once smoked you can never go back. Having said that if you are keeping it for percieved resell value don't bother. Unsmoked won't bring that much more.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
+1 on everything said so far. I have a few unsmoked pipes, some that have been sitting around for more than 25 years, but that's only because I haven't gotten around to smoking them – yet. That pipe of yours has been waiting for the right smoker to come along, and you da man! Unless, of course, you're running a museum, in which you should p.m. me for my address, because I have a hands-on working museum where it will fit just fine.

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
I will put it in the rotation. The classic American brands are the ones I collect so it was unusual to find one unsmoked. I have some with light wear, but never had one unsmoked so I was having an argument with myself on what to do with it. :)

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I collect pipes in memory of my dad who was a pipe smoker. I do not smoke so I prefer to have unsmoked pipes. When i first started collecting I bought some presmoked estates. I later decided to sell most of them since they were already smoked so they could be used by other pipe smokers.
I still have some of the pipes my dad smoked which I will always keep.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can imagine any habit of smoking or not smoking your pipes, or smoking some and not others.

If you want to have a collection of pipes in pristine condition, in addition to your stable of smoking

pipes, that's fine too. Personally, my only reason for owning pipes is for smoking. I guess if I had

to stop smoking, I'd keep them as a collection, but I don't think I would buy any more.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I can imagine any habit of smoking or not smoking your pipes, or smoking some and not others.

If you want to have a collection of pipes in pristine condition, in addition to your stable of smoking

pipes, that's fine too.

That sums me up. I have a couple pipes that haven't seen a match. I have enough pipes to smoke of the same brand, shape and size that I want to keep a few new. 8O

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
To smoke or not to smoke, that is the question. Everyone here is in agreement so far, so I'll go the contrary route.

Until a few days ago, I didn't buy a pipe that I would not smoke. There are a few that I have yet to put a match to, but I know that one of these days, I will light them up.

But I just bought a "museum piece" that was simply too nice to ignore. It's a 1907 Barling companion set and it is unsmoked. I have no need nor desire to smoke it. I can appreciate it as a window on a long gone era and enjoy the makers' craft just as it came from the pipeworks 107 years ago. I have a few other pipes from that era that have seen use and I enjoy smoking them.

The best thing about pipes is that smoked or unsmoked they don't really lose much value if kept in good condition.

Not in this case. Unsmoked sets from that era are rarer than honest politicians. Touch fire and the value drops enormously. This is a completely different corner of the hobby.

I also just picked up a nice 1940's Pre_Trans Barling Canadian that has been smoked only a few times. I'll be firing it up after I've cleaned it.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Pipe collecting is growing and the older pipes are increasing in value. The Artisan pipes are moving up at a nice pace. IMO you should decide if this is a pipe you acquired to smoke or collect. A single bowl smoked out of a pipe will reduce its value. Being mint has the rarity factor and worth much more to the non-smoking collector, but pipes are meant to be smoked. The double edged sword.
I plan on having both, and just make the decision at the start and not torture myself.
Craig

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
I have 3 old unsmoked Mastercrafts in the boxes and a few others that will not see fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.