Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 23, 2019
We see these pop up from time to time.

I remember seeing one with the classic Kaywoodie 'stinger' stem, not really going to get you a fortune, but if you find the right Hunter S Thompson fan, you can probably get a pretty penny for it.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
The only KBB cigarette holder I've seen had a needle-tipped stinger. How do you know this is a KBB cigarette holder? Are there markings somewhere?

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Many Bakelite cigarette holders will sell between twenty and seventy dollars; some for more. It all depends on what someone is willing to pay or how much two people are willing to bid something up to at auction; in some instances, those two people are the only ones willing to pay hundreds or thousands, the rest would pay zero.

With collecting rare books, there might be an ephemeral tertiary item that no one is looking for (or stocking because dealers are more likely to focus on stocking primary or secondary items in an author's bibliography), but, I've been searching for over thirty years without finding it. My collecting interests may be more in-depth than other people. If one surfaces at auction, I'm more likely to bid higher than anyone because I'm looking for that item and appreciate its scarcity, and no one else cares. I might end up paying five bucks for something that I would've easily spent three hundred on, but, no one cared or was looking except for me.

Things are worth what someone is willing to pay. At this point in time @bluegrassbrian is correct.

pickerchic

Lurker
Jul 8, 2022
We see these pop up from time to time.

I remember seeing one with the classic Kaywoodie 'stinger' stem, not really going to get you a fortune, but if you find the right Hunter S Thompson fan, you can probably get a pretty penny for it.
Thank you very much for the information.

pickerchic

Lurker
Jul 8, 2022
Many Bakelite cigarette holders will sell between twenty and seventy dollars; some for more. It all depends on what someone is willing to pay or how much two people are willing to bid something up to at auction; in some instances, those two people are the only ones willing to pay hundreds or thousands, the rest would pay zero.

With collecting rare books, there might be an ephemeral tertiary item that no one is looking for (or stocking because dealers are more likely to focus on stocking primary or secondary items in an author's bibliography), but, I've been searching for over thirty years without finding it. My collecting interests may be more in-depth than other people. If one surfaces at auction, I'm more likely to bid higher than anyone because I'm looking for that item and appreciate its scarcity, and no one else cares. I might end up paying five bucks for something that I would've easily spent three hundred on, but, no one cared or was looking except for me.

Things are worth what someone is willing to pay. At this point in time @bluegrassbrian is correct.
Thank you so much!

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

pickerchic

Lurker
Jul 8, 2022

Thanks so very much for the info!

Reactions: TheIronMonkey