PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
MSO recently posted his respect for the venerable Kaywoodie. I love this forum, in part, for it’s power of suggestion. Since I own one, I’ve dug it out and decided to have a comparison smoke.
1A40E69D-F5AA-4BD8-9045-BC20D63EF867.jpeg
Since I’ve been smoking only cobs the past few weeks, this is the perfect time to compare my MM Cobs with my Kaywoodie.
021B2228-F794-4556-BC56-36052B85C3A9.jpeg
Both pipes, have very different draws. The wide open MM draw contrasts with the Kaywoodie —which feels like pulling a thick milkshake through a straw. Both pipes unloaded, filterless cob, stinger intact in the Kaywoodie.

I’ve loaded each with Granger and in the usual manner. Fine Aged Granger circa 2014, a particularly good year for burley scraps. Granger is Granger is Granger.

Before lighting, I must point out that the Kaywoodie is ghosted with something pleasingly sweet and I can taste its ghost along with the raw granger. The cob tastes clean. So to even this out I’ll be sipping a hot cup of tea with a teaspoon of honey.

Let’s begin…
0BB00CD7-5C05-401A-B668-ACD86C9AE189.jpeg
The draw of the Kawoodie is superb. Stinger even permitted a small piece of tobacco to enter my mouth which surprised me. I understand why Kaywoodies were the rage in their era. It is truly a fine smoking implement and not hard on the eyes. This one I bought new in the 1990’s.
893E108E-FE13-4882-9DAB-05789220048A.jpeg
Upon lighting the cob, the draw seemed a bit much, but a moment of adjustment and we’re off to the races. There’s just something special and heartwarming about a cob. Light in weight and each has its own shades of browns to golden yellows to creamy off white—cobs are as appealing to me as a favorite pair of jeans.

We’ll? How did they smoke?

Beautifully, both. I will consider adding another Kaywoodie. Good call, MSO.

No fault of the Kaywoodie. —The gummy-bear-ghosts just ruined it for me. I’d loaned it to an Aro smoking friend years ago and have not smoked it since it was returned to me. In fact, I didn’t finish the Kaywoodie. I instead settled in for another 30 minutes with the MM Apple Diplomat while watching the rain from my garage.

Verdict: I love my Cobs and Kaywoodies are fine looking and fine smoking pipes!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oof, sorry the briar is haunted. Interesting comparison. For me, it's hard to beat a cob for shear ease in smoking.

• Haha
Reactions: Grangerous