PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Any place that can replace a kaywoodie stem with the correct stinger or does anyone keep a stash of old kaywoodie stems or stingers for such a case?
I found an old 4 digit bowl but no stem at a flea market.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Not that I've ever heard. People infrequently share a bit on the Kaywood forum's, but that's all I've ever heard of. Replacing a stem on a KW the way it originally was is a bit more involved as there are many, many thread and stinger variations. From year to year and shape to shape they vary. Many combo's and no one has the rosetta stone imho.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I offer you this one. I have no idea what pipe it came from, though it must have had a fairly small shank or maybe some sort of freehand looking stummel.
Like backaroo said, there doesn't seem to have been a standard sized fitting. This one doesn't fit on any of my Kaywoodies.
stem_zpscetuz2s7.jpg

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Being a pack rat, I keep all the stingers I pull off my pipes in an old tobacco tin. I haven't ever had a Kaywoodie though, but I do have a lot of old stingers if you just want one.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Thanks for the offers guys. I wouldn't take your stem from you tuold. What happens when you get a Kaywoodie bowl only next month? :) Worst case scenario I can just hold onto this bowl until I come across a stem. I thought maybe a repair guy on here might have 50 or 100 stems that they had collected over the years. Sounds like they are a rare commodity.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Those original stems may be rare, but there are plenty of pipe repair artisans that could fashion a nice stem for your pipe. Depends on whether you want to smoke it, or restore it for show. I had one made for a Dunhill stummel that came out exactly like the original stem, and for a Castello that I picked up for a song that had a cheap Replacement stem.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
The 4-hole stingers are not all interchangeable. They come in different sizes and thread patterns.

Tim West at J.H. Lowe might have a stinger that will fit. From what I understand, Lowe used to be an approved Kaywoodie repairer. Might not be a 4-hole though. You will get what he has that fits. I'm sure he can do a stem. But it may not be quite right and won't have a clover. Probably cost in the area of $50. And it will likely take a while. Depends how bad you want to smoke it I guess.
Another thing you can do that is probably a better idea: Watch eBay for another 4-hole Kaywoodie with the same number as yours. You can probably find one with a trashed bowl and a decent stem. That might take a while but will cost much less.

Status
Not open for further replies.