PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Whoa, cool weird pipe. Looks like it's in pretty good shape to me. I'd just run some water through it, scrub off the stummel, wipe out the chamber with a paper towel real good, clean out the insides with alcohol and bristled cleaners, and try smoking it before doing anything more drastic.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Whoa, cool weird pipe. Looks like it's in pretty good shape to me. I'd just run some water through it, scrub off the stummel, wipe out the chamber with a paper towel real good, clean out the insides with alcohol and bristled cleaners, and try smoking it before doing anything more drastic.

I agree. I think all it needs is a good deep cleaning.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Wow this pipe stinks. I don’t know what the po smoked, but I don’t want it. After a dozen scrubbing pipe cleaners and twice as many q-tips I decided to go straight to salt bath. 0A4D8741-A092-418C-B91A-88E1764B5043.jpeg

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
I’m thinking the stem is plastic or something. I learned my lesson about alcohol on plastic. Soap, Dawn, and a little blue dish pad did some good on the outside. But I still don’t know how to clean the inside.5C7508AE-CC64-417E-A315-379F2A418B79.jpeg6FA19763-3696-42F4-ADD2-5EFA17E9CE80.jpeg

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Last edited:
Reactions: Bowie

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
How do you remove the stinger ?
It might just pull out or it might not come out at all. I have a couple of pipes where the stinger is made as part of the stem and it won't come out.
This stinger won't come out.

Nice pipe by the way. It's weird looking and kind of cool at the same time.

Reactions: AlabamaDan

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Looks like a Ruf-Tone from the eighties. Definitely briar. There were some brylon pipes but not the Ruf-Tone. That stinger won't come out without having to change the whole pipe. Just use pipe cleaners on the stem and soak the stinger in alcohol. A thin pipe cleaner will usually exit the hole at the end and get it clean for you.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Looks like a Ruf-Tone from the eighties. Definitely briar. There were some brylon pipes but not the Ruf-Tone. That stinger won't come out without having to change the whole pipe. Just use pipe cleaners on the stem and soak the stinger in alcohol. A thin pipe cleaner will usually exit the hole at the end and get it clean for you.

Yup. After thinking about it the threads on the stinger are the only way to attach the stem to the shank and I don't think it comes off. Now where can I find one of those super thin piper cleaners... Hmmm....

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Yup. After thinking about it the threads on the stinger are the only way to attach the stem to the shank and I don't think it comes off. Now where can I find one of those super thin piper cleaners... Hmmm....
I also keep bottle cleaners and the like on hand, so I usually have something thin enough to get in there if it is a little gummed up. Grocery store usually has some small ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.