SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

trubka2

Preferred Member
Feb 27, 2019
Whoa, cool weird pipe. Looks like it's in pretty good shape to me. I'd just run some water through it, scrub off the stummel, wipe out the chamber with a paper towel real good, clean out the insides with alcohol and bristled cleaners, and try smoking it before doing anything more drastic.

rushx9

Preferred Member
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
As far as I know, Ruf-Tones are briar. I have one with the ugliest rustication I've ever seen. That spiral rustication is beautiful!

Reactions: AlabamaDan

AlabamaDan

Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Whoa, cool weird pipe. Looks like it's in pretty good shape to me. I'd just run some water through it, scrub off the stummel, wipe out the chamber with a paper towel real good, clean out the insides with alcohol and bristled cleaners, and try smoking it before doing anything more drastic.
I agree. I think all it needs is a good deep cleaning.

mikethompson

Preferred Member
Jun 26, 2016
Just a bit of rim cleaning and the usual salt/alcohol soak and I'd say your most of the way there.

How is the stem on that?

AlabamaDan

Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Wow this pipe stinks. I don’t know what the po smoked, but I don’t want it. After a dozen scrubbing pipe cleaners and twice as many q-tips I decided to go straight to salt bath. 0A4D8741-A092-418C-B91A-88E1764B5043.jpeg

AlabamaDan

Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
I’m thinking the stem is plastic or something. I learned my lesson about alcohol on plastic. Soap, Dawn, and a little blue dish pad did some good on the outside. But I still don’t know how to clean the inside.5C7508AE-CC64-417E-A315-379F2A418B79.jpeg6FA19763-3696-42F4-ADD2-5EFA17E9CE80.jpeg

AlabamaDan

Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Last edited:
Reactions: Bowie

mikethompson

Preferred Member
Jun 26, 2016
But I still don’t know how to clean the inside.
I would just remove that stinger and go in there with pipe cleaners and alcohol.

For the outside, I would do the usual sanding with micromesh. The ridge between the bit and the stem can be tricky though, but go slow and carefully and you will do alright.

scloyd

Preferred Member
May 23, 2018
How do you remove the stinger ?
It might just pull out or it might not come out at all. I have a couple of pipes where the stinger is made as part of the stem and it won't come out.
This stinger won't come out.

Nice pipe by the way. It's weird looking and kind of cool at the same time.

Reactions: AlabamaDan

crashthegrey

Preferred Member
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Looks like a Ruf-Tone from the eighties. Definitely briar. There were some brylon pipes but not the Ruf-Tone. That stinger won't come out without having to change the whole pipe. Just use pipe cleaners on the stem and soak the stinger in alcohol. A thin pipe cleaner will usually exit the hole at the end and get it clean for you.

AlabamaDan

Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Looks like a Ruf-Tone from the eighties. Definitely briar. There were some brylon pipes but not the Ruf-Tone. That stinger won't come out without having to change the whole pipe. Just use pipe cleaners on the stem and soak the stinger in alcohol. A thin pipe cleaner will usually exit the hole at the end and get it clean for you.
Yup. After thinking about it the threads on the stinger are the only way to attach the stem to the shank and I don't think it comes off. Now where can I find one of those super thin piper cleaners... Hmmm....

crashthegrey

Preferred Member
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Yup. After thinking about it the threads on the stinger are the only way to attach the stem to the shank and I don't think it comes off. Now where can I find one of those super thin piper cleaners... Hmmm....
I also keep bottle cleaners and the like on hand, so I usually have something thin enough to get in there if it is a little gummed up. Grocery store usually has some small ones.