PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I just ordered one of these from WV smoke shop. I just checked out your site after. I saw the unique and handmade stuff is pretty cool. What are the different quality levels? I’m looking for something unique but standard shapes, like an apple billiard or author in flame grain or birdseye.
Sorry for the delay. The standard lines like Standard, Super Grain, etc. run from 40 to 50 dollars for the most part. Then Unique, Gemini, and Thorn run in the 75 to 100 range, and Handmade can be from 100 to 400, depending on shape. As to quality, they are all high quality, the price range is based more on the finish and aesthetics of the Grain. I can give you more of a breakdown or some recommendations privately but I don't want to come across as advertising without permission.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
To my knowledge, not counting craft makers, there are three old line factory pipe makers left in the United States that manufacture, catalog and sell factory briar smokers.

The largest is Dr Grabow at Sparta, North Carolina which also offers a Royalton line.

S.M. Frank in New York offering Kaywoodie, Medico, and Yello Bole.

It’s always been mail order, but E.A. Carey is still in Oklahoma selling E.A. Carey and Duncan Hill pipes.

In the late 1930s Kaywoodie had the briar to make the best standard sized factory smokers the world will ever see again.

This 4 hole stinger Flame Grain is probably the finest pipe I own.

305C4AB4-A01A-4617-B34C-CCCCF7D37747.jpegF792BA28-B0EC-4399-8896-EF6571E899F1.jpegEC52AB4E-C7A4-4ED4-ADE4-7CBAAF88D8C0.jpegF4F06EA4-16E9-463A-AA2B-81FC6EFA8DE1.jpegB5B7747B-5163-4B16-ADCD-3EF0452B5598.jpeg109E8B2E-C3E8-454C-B720-493F002CC3F7.jpeg5F7C9530-1408-4E00-A4A3-23ABA1F0728D.jpeg

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
An update on my earlier post on the Kaywoodie pipes I have.
I now have four of them and I love them all! They all smoke great.
1-Kaywoodie Berkshire/ WVSmokeshop
2-Kaywoodie Signet/ Antique shop find
3-Kaywoodie Redroot / Greywoodie
4-Kaywoodie Supergrain/ Greywoodie

kaywoodie berkshire.jpgkaywoodie signet.jpgkaywoodie redroot.jpgkaywoodie supergrain.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bill Feurbach seems to be a sort of one man band at Kaywoodie. I think he has some help, but he is the prime mover in making Kaywoodie, Medico, and Yello-Bole pipes. No wonder re-stocking is a little slow, but steady! I hope he has some interns and apprentices to take up the mantle.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
This is a post in praise of Kaywoodie pipes. As I've said, maybe a little too repetitiously, Kaywoodie was the premier pipe back in the fifties, with Dunhill running second. Since then, Dunhill/White Spot has pumped its prices through the roof, and Kaywoodie has been relegated to being an old name U.S. factory pipe that starts at about forty bucks, with some handmade versions topping out in the two hundreds. I know there are whole sites devoted to Kaywoodie, mostly collecting the pipes from the past. I'd just like to quietly comment that it is my impression that while the image of Kaywoodie has retreated, the pipes themselves remain what they were in the 1950's, surpassing high quality even at the forty dollar price. Two aspects I would highlight: They have unusually light weight models with thin bowl walls that do not heat up much, an excellent and rare quality. And their fit and finish is still as crisp and sharp as it was in their premier pipe days. If you don't want to afford a White Spot, buy a Kaywoodie for forty or eighty bucks, and you may do just as well. One of the finest of factory pipes. Credit for this post is due to the late foggy mountain, a Forums member who worked in Manhattan pipe shops in the 1950's and sold both brands of pipes, and smoked mostly White Spots.
I recently located an early Kaywoodie in the bottom of my pile and fired it up. Mistakenly my early opinion was that it was a low end drug store pipe. The cross grain blast on my bull dog was better than most of the high end in the racks. I regret not paying attn. to this line earlier, one of the best smokers in my collection !

Reactions: daniel7 and mso489

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Italy, Denmark, and France, and perhaps England and Ireland have forged ahead with pipe making, whereas the U.S. industry has somewhat faded, but I think the remaining U.S. pipe factories do a remarkable job, including Missouri Meerschaum. The first few U.S. factory pipes I bought, I thought of as historical items, but as I've smoked them over the years, I've come admire them more.