PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
I have 3 or so shank clover Super grains. They all need rim and stem work. Most of them the stinger is either broken or missing leaving only the metal threads.

does anyone have any stingers/stems they want to sell or trade? I’m assuming most of them are generic size? Please correct me if I’m wrong.

if it gets too costly to repair, then I’m probably just going to sell the lot as is.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Any hope for refitting those as push bits rather than trying to revamp them with their screw-in stinger stems? If you're not trying to preserve their historical correctness, that might be a viable option, whether you do the work yourself or have a pipe repair person do it. I think it might be done at modest cost.

Reactions: Briar Lee

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
Yeah, at least one needs a new stem. I think Walker charges a few dollars to transfer over hardware. So, if I can find a few and get one stem made and get the rim work done it may be in the 100-150 range for 3. Only have about $50 in the 3 pipes. I’d rather keep their integrity or sell them along.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Kaywoodie and Lee both used aluminum screw stems with stingers but there are differences in the execution of what is to me essentially the same design.

The Kaywoodie stinger was in two parts.

Up front on the stummel, there’s an aluminum disc that extends to the outside of the stummel when finished. Earlier ones were press fit and glued, later ones screwed in. Replacement could be done, but at the long defunct Kaywoodie factory.

The stinger of the Kaywoodie was machined as part of the front part of the piece that early on was press for and glued into the stem. Again, at the Kaywoodie factory they might have repaired one, but not since.

Amd I my experience no stem of one Kaywoodie fits the stummel of another, they were hand made to one pipe.

Lee used basically the same system with these improvements:

1. The Lee stinger is removable. All seem to be the same size.

2. Both front and rear Lee fitments were screwed in, and they are recessed. The joint between stem and stummel is invisible, and it looks like a push stem.

3. Since both parts were screwed in, the Lee is adjustable unless 75 years of tars have welded up the screw threads.

4. Even though it’s a technically more elegant system, I’d say a Lee that needs a stem replaced today is like a Kaywoodie, and there’s nobody alive that can replace the stem the same as it was when it left the Lee factory. They’ll convert it to push stem.

And, you’ll lose the pretty gold inlaid stars.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
@bayareabriar i got a lot containing 3 super grains, the pipes are iffy (not horrible though) to the point i was going to do a quick cleaning and toss them on rack, a couple of the stems are good and the stingers are good as well. They are yours if you want them, would be good parts pipes, maybe we could trade or maybe I’ll just sent them to be a good doobie, shoot me a message and I’ll take a couple pics of them for you later.

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
@bayareabriar i got a lot containing 3 super grains, the pipes are iffy (not horrible though) to the point i was going to do a quick cleaning and toss them on rack, a couple of the stems are good and the stingers are good as well. They are yours if you want them, would be good parts pipes, maybe we could trade or maybe I’ll just sent them to be a good doobie, shoot me a message and I’ll take a couple pics of them for you later.
Thank you! I’ll take some measurements of this one pipe I have. I bought a few donor pipes so I have a few as well lol. But none of them match up. I’ll be in touch this weekend.

Reactions: AJL67