PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Pictured is one of the nine natural finish pipes from this year's Kaywoodie event (which was great fun). I can't say the special finish helped my time much, but it sure is a great looking, and smoking, pipe. Many thanks again to SM Frank & Bill Feuerbach for hosting (and for making my favorite pipes back in the 60s--Medico Jet Streams!), Park Lane for supplying a nice burley (Fireside, I believe), and everyone for participating--and especial :worship: to Doc Garr's hour and twelve minute (please correct me if I'm off on that, Doc) winning time, leaving the competition in the dust! It was truly a sight to see.
kaywoodie-11-1-600x454.jpg

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
:oops: 27 minutes and change. I was shooting for the bag of matches, but missed it by a few minutes. I'm actually surprised I even got a pipe to light with only two matches. :lol:

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Haha, i got 21.23, worst part of that is doc is my club president, my soc professor.. and i had to drive back to PA with him, i still couldnt put a better time in than 21 minutes.
Did end up with a beauitiful pipe carved by tim hynick. Pics will come soon

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
When it comes to slow smoking competitions - how do you get the accurate finish time? I imagine that part of the skill is in taking longer breaks between draws than normal. If the pipe goes out between draws, what time is recorded? It is something I often wonder about when I am sat with my pipe lost in unimportant thoughts.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
You sort of take a longer time between draws, really you just take smaller puffs, alot also has to do with watching the ember on the top of the pipe move around the bowl, that is if you can find it. you really dont get a perfect actual ending time, when you realize your out and you cant come back, you just say 'im out'
At the bigger events like chicago, they have stewards at the tables to keep track of everybody.
When it comes to the last two people, it really is closley watched because everyone is amazed at how long they can keep going.
Personally, i have never seen doc go out under an hour, we do mock contests once a month

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
When it comes to slow smoking competitions - how do you get the accurate finish time? I imagine that part of the skill is in taking longer breaks between draws than normal. If the pipe goes out between draws, what time is recorded? It is something I often wonder about when I am sat with my pipe lost in unimportant thoughts.

Hehe. One of the funniest things during these slow smokes is watching a guy (myself included) suddenly realize that he's about to go out--one's eyes widen when you start to notice the smoke flavor get thin, then there's a bit of frantic puffing and tamping, then a wrinkled brow, and finally the sad moment when there's nothing but cool ash in your bowl and you relent to raise your hand and declare yourself out. It's an honor system, basically, and in the convivial spirit of the event everyone taps their tampers on the tables in a round of applause for those who have fallen.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Its a fun time, although im sure most everyone would agree that the actual competition smoke is one of the most unenjoyable stressful smoke possibly imaginable haha.
My deal with myself is that i have to go over 20 minutes, if i can manage that i can leave happy...i made 21 minutes this time, cutting it close

Status
Not open for further replies.