Kawoodie advice: cleaning while hot: A-OK or Totally Taboo?.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nativeson

Might Stick Around
Sep 24, 2010
Reading extensively on the forums, the accepted wisdom seems to be, don't pull the stem from the pipe to clean it untill after it cools. But a vintage Kaywoodie I bought has a screw-in metal end on the stem, and it screws into a metal socket too. So it seemed to me to be engineered something like an "army bit" -which I've only read about- and which can apparently be cleaned while hot. I'm a new guy. This hoby is a little complex, and I wouldn't want to ruin a nice vintage briar, so should I be patient and cool it or clean out that stem while its hot? Second question. Is what I read true about an "army mount" and ,if so, why not buy that type of mount exclusively as the ability to "clean on the go" seems to me to be a more practicle pipe. The opinions of those more expierenced will be most apreciated.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've gotten into the habit of running a pipe cleaner through the stem and in to the bowl right after smoking. I leave the pipe cleaner in until the pipe has cooled. Makes cleaning a lot easier as the pipe cleaner absorbs any moisture in the pipe.

In the case of your pipe, run the pipe cleaner in to it and when cool, unscrew it with the pipe cleaner still in it and pull it throught the stem. Then pull from the bowl.

Took longer to type than actually perform.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
If it's a screw in connection with a stinger I take it apart perhaps a couple times during the smoke just to wipe the stinger off.
I rarely pull a mortis and tenon stem out until it's cooled off, I'd say about 20 minutes or so. That may be too early, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.