PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Here it goes, I'm halfway through a 100g tin so I believe I have a fair idea of what this tobacco is like, given I never had a blend with N. rustica before.

First of all, huge kudos to Per Jensen and MacBaren for doing this, along with everyone involved in it's development, I understand it was not an easy task to bring a "wild" tobacco to the mass market, but it's been successful! It takes a robust operation like MacBaren to pull it off right.

Presentation is impeccable, like all of the HH line, three neat stacks of chewing gum-wide dark, nearly black flakes, all perfectly even. Smell is slight BBQ, vinegar, and herbs. I'll come back to the herbs...

I've tried cube cutting, folding and stuffing, and rubbing out, leaning to rubbing out with this one as I find folding and stuffing especially (my preferred treatment of flakes) to be tricky to keep lit, even after drying.
Initial flavour is soft, vinegary and woody, the first nasal exhale is eyewatering, yes there is a lot of nicotine here! A lot more than Old Dark Fired, a little more than Gawith brown ropes, a lot more than Gawith black ropes, a little more than 1792 Flake, and a bit LESS than Motzek Dark Twist.

It's hard to tell if it's spicy or it's just the nicotine burning the nose, I lean towards it being the nic as the taste overall is not particularly spicy.

The taste is consistent, I don't find it particularly "full", it feels a bit soft to me, more towards a bright tobacco than a dark one, despite the flakes themselves being nearly black. There is floral and herbal tastes, and bitterness like, an Earl Grey tea steeped for too long. Bitter herbs in fact. That's where the blend started going sour for me, I don't like bitter tastes, even when talking beers unless it's Guinness, I prefer a porter or a Bavarian Weissbier. HH Rustica gives me a lot of bitter herbs, like an Asian shop without the spice. Pity is once the bitterness showed up I couldn't get it out of my head, it was here to stay, and make me want to finish the tin, but not get another.

Overall, a bold and successful experiment, showing there's still life and desire for innovation in pipe smoking, but for me there are both stronger and tastier strong blends I'll go to before reaching to Rustica again.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
You didn't like, which I didn't expect. Thanks for being straight-forward about your experience.

But sometimes my reaction to something is unclear because I'm not sure if my subjective perception is overruling objective fact; that is, is Rustica indeed objectively sour or does your subjective reaction make it so. I'm not saying that your experience is either.

If I still smoked I would have undoubtedly been smoking Rustica, but Its wild taste seems similar to Tambolaka which although I was very excited to try, I never succeeded in liking.

Thank you for your review.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I really enjoyed this one, too. Initially, I thought it might be less strong (in terms of nicotine) than some of the Gawith dark flakes, but after going through a few tins, I revised my assessment and thought it on par with those Gawith blends. Flavors wise, I prefer Dark Flake, 1792 and Lakeland Dark, but I'd be happy to make Rustica a staple in my rotation.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I have a privilege to smoke this blend and I'm wondering how much percent of Rustica is actually in it. The name is spot on, the very special taste indeed reminds of something wild and untamed. For a moment I was afraid that might be some modern topping or any other hidden ingredient. What do you say, how much Nicotiana rustica does this blend contain? It's definitely a strong mixture but if compared to Bold Kentucky it's not so overwhelming as advertised in description, the first impression is they are about the same strength. Of course I can be wrong and it's too soon to say the final word, next tins will tell more.

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I have a privilege to smoke this blend and I'm wondering how much percent of Rustica is actually in it. The name is spot on, the very special taste indeed reminds of something wild and untamed. For a moment I was afraid that might be some modern topping or any other hidden ingredient. What do you say, how much Nicotiana rustica does this blend contain? It's definitely a strong mixture but if compared to Bold Kentucky it's not so overwhelming as advertised in description, the first impression is they are about the same strength. Of course I can be wrong and it's too soon to say the final word, next tins will tell more.
Good question. Enough to make it spicy and give it a substantial strength, but not so it becomes overwhelming. I don't really know what rustica tastes like on it's own, so I can only make a half-assed guess...

But I'd guess 10-15%.

Reactions: luigi
Status
Not open for further replies.