PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
Oh how the time flies, it's already close enough to moving time that I need to start thinking about where to buy my tobacco.
I've done some searching online but the ones I've found are mostly for cigars. I'll like that too but I need my pipe.
In Germany I have been a bit spoiled, all the B&Ms have great self made tobacco, and that's mostly what I have smoked.
So does anyone know of a good B&M in the K.C. area, preferably (not necessarily) one with good house blends?

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
Best tobacco shop in Kansas City is Cigar and Tobacco. It is at 105th and Metcalf in Overland Park.

Big place, bigger than my house, with lots of tables and chairs.

It has been in three different locations, but has been around more than thirty years.

They host the Kansas City Pipe club - the guys responsible for the Kansas City Pipe show in June.

Owner is a great guy, lots tinned and bulk tobaccos. Selection of pipes range from basket pipes to a thousand dollars, and they also carry some estate.

They have a guy hand-rolling cigars on site.

If you go there, ask a guy named Bob about Chinese eggs.

anthony

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Rotschefeller:
A huge +1 to Acme/Anthony's recommendation for Cigar and Tobacco. The owner loves his stogies but he's also a true piper as are many of his employees. They know burners, they know tobacco, they move a boatload of McClelland product and they also sponsor one of the biggest - ACTIVE - pipe clubs in the States.
Please holler at me when you get to KC. I office a few miles from Cigar and Tobacco and would enjoy meeting you.
Fnord

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
@Roth: A a young man I was enchanted with Diebel's. Great pipes and cigars. Wonderful tobaccos. Amazing guy stuff for everyday use and decor. As a cigarette smoker, they also supplied my St.DuPont lighter needs and I thought they were as good as it gets.
But, when I walked through their doors several months ago with a double handful of Diebel's Benchmade pipes and was blown off by Fred's son, Kurt, I knew that I would I never, ever go there again. These were pipes handcrafted from vintage Algerian briar, in the late 50's and early 60's, when Fred had cornered the market of French Algerian briar prior to their Civil War. They're brilliant smokers and I was only asking for the back story on what I'd uncovered.
Kurt looked at my pipes and said, "Boy, I mailed thousands of these when I was a kid." and just walked away.
Yep. Okay. Whatever, dude.
Get stuffed.
(Your old man was to Algerian Briar what Lamar and Bunker Hunt was to the silver market in the 70's. Except he won.)
Fnord

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
Looks like I know what my first stop will be. I will live on the exact opposite side of the city but I don't mind making the drive for a good B&M. Thanks for the advice!
Fnord - I will give you a yell when I am there - as long as you don't mind meeting up with a young, fairly novice pipe smoker :wink:
Have any of you ever been to Outlaw Cigar? As the name implies it's mainly a cigar place but I have heard they also have more than enough to please pipe smokers, only problem is they don't have much about products on their website.

magoo65

Lurker
Apr 10, 2013
Glad I came in here to find out about the pipe show in June. I'm from KC and visit fairly often... I guess I know when I'll be up there this year.
Rotschefeller - I have been to Outlaw Cigar a couple times but it's been years (probably 12 years) and that was before I began smoking pipes. I'm a member on a large firearm forum and a bunch of guys hang out there every so often from what I've read. Can't help you out with a recommendation unfortunately.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Guys:
Outlaw Cigars is a stogie joint that just happens to carry a few pipes and a few tins of tobacco. They've got an enormous lounge and plenty of hired hands that cater to the cigar smokers. I walked in a few weeks ago, made a beeline to the the pipe area and was ignored for the next 10 minutes while I looked at their offerings.
The little bitty B&M I frequent in Topeka has those guys beat hands down. (They also host host Erik Nording and Rocky Patel twice a year.)
Outlaw Cigars did have a nice offering of Missouri Meerschaums but, all in all, that was about it.
It was an underwhelming experience.
Rotscheller and Magoo, give me a shout when either of you are in KC and I hope you both can attend the Kansas City Pipe Show on June 22 and 23. It's a swell time.
Fnord

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Ditto to what everyone said regarding Cigar and Tobacco, and Outlaw cigar. Cigar and Tobacvo is one of the best local pipe B&Ms in the country. I called on their store when I worked for Savinelli and it was a pleasure to go to their store. They do it right.
Outlaw is a cool cigar shop.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
KC has a number of fine B&M's, including Diebel's, Outlaw Cigar, Fidel's Cigars and Cigar & Tabac. If you are looking for pipes and pipe tobacco it is hard to beat C&T. Both Diebel's and Outlaw have two locations. I believe the Diebel's on the Plaza is stronger on pipes than the Overland Park store. Fidel's in Westport is working hard to improve both their pipe selection and knowledge. I haven't been in either Outlaw to really check out their pipe selection or knowledge.
You KC guys who are on the Greater Kansas City Pipe Club mailing should get on that. They publish a really informative newsletter. You have to make the Pipe Show on June 21-23.

Status
Not open for further replies.