PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It'll probably fail lol but I'll be entertained.
You got me thinking 🤔

I don't like/use filters.
I gifted a new, unsmoked pipe to a mate because it was a 9mm filter pipe
Sometime ago I bought an estate Stanwell Shape 186, which unbeknownst to me, took a 9mm filter

Now in my backyard I have 2 clumps of slender bamboo.
I might cut a few stems, dry and trim them to size and try them out in that Stanwell.

See what you have started 😆

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
You got me thinking 🤔

Sometime ago I bought an estate Stanwell Shape 186, which unbeknownst to me, took a 9mm filter

I might cut a few stems, dry and trim them to size and try them out in that Stanwell.

Might as well 🤣 It's something to do lol

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
You got me thinking 🤔

Don't have many friends. But one showed interest in pipes. Got him one without filter. Didn't want to explain more than was absolutely necessary.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Might as well 🤣 It's something to do lol
I've just gone out to the backyard to cut some pieces
They fit the 9mm tenon really well
I will post some pics when I have time on the weekend.
And report on the success, or otherwise 😄

Now, I have never smoked a pipe with a filter before.
So I have absolutely no idea of what to look for, or expect.

What I will do is smoke half a bowl without the "filter".
Then insert the length of bamboo and see if there is a noticeable difference in the 2nd half of the bowl.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I know about Balsa filters, and decided to just break a kabob stick and throw it in my pipe. Anyone ever tried it? I hate charcoal filters and was looking for something to grab a little heat and moisture that doesn't effect the draw. After a half bowl not sure how much it's doing, but my draws great.

If you've tried it or have a different idea let me know.

Be careful - some species of bamboo contain toxic compounds. Why not buy sticks of balsa and cut your own?

Reactions: Coreios

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I know about Balsa filters, and decided to just break a kabob stick and throw it in my pipe. Anyone ever tried it? I hate charcoal filters and was looking for something to grab a little heat and moisture that doesn't effect the draw. After a half bowl not sure how much it's doing, but my draws great.

I'm a toothpick man myself, 1 for 3mm 2 for 6mm and 3 for 9mm

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012

Stupid questions: Are you doing this in a filter pipe or a “normal” pipe? If you’re using a filter pipe…is there a reason why you don’t like the standard filter and are seeking a substitute? If a “normal” pipe, aren’t you seriously disrupting the engineered airflow by introducing a foreign object?

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Stupid questions: Are you doing this in a filter pipe or a “normal” pipe? If you’re using a filter pipe…is there a reason why you don’t like the standard filter and are seeking a substitute? If a “normal” pipe, aren’t you seriously disrupting the engineered airflow by introducing a foreign object?
It wasn't to be taken to serious. Was just a bordum experiment mainly. But I do dislike charcoal filters. I dont like the draw and when I pack looser I don't like the burn. But I do smoke a bit hot at times and thought maybe the wood would absorb so I tried it. It was a fail because ot didn't absorb anything it didn't clog the airway though. But someone told me a toothpick is what he uses and it worked. Toothpicks arent the same wood I guess. Most of my pipes can take a filter some 9 some 6. I may try sticking a 6 in a 9 pipe. Not sure about what to do for a 6 pipe though. I haven't tried the toothpick yet.