PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Goggy302

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2021
Lewes Delaware
I just purchase this nice Chacom Nose Warmer. My question is since I'm new to the pipe world. I'm worried about gargling and moisture in this short bent pipe from the tobacco. Screenshot_20210113-023748_Samsung Internet.jpg20210113_023845.jpgWhat would be a good Blend of tobacco to try to avoid that problem. Because I know some blends have more moisture then other's. I'm only going to smoke one certain blend like (Virginia's,) or (English's) or ( Aromantics). I'm leaving that up to you guy's to decide for me ? Here's a pic of the pipe and the Dimensions thanks

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I agree with the other smokers. Also,please consider a straight pipe.Straight pipes allow a more direct path for the pipe cleaner to get to the gathering moisture. Only my opinion. And,by the way good choice on a french pipe.They're very well made.Thanks,and keep smoking,and experiencing.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I would suggest trying a example from each genre of tobacco, so that you’ll know which YOU like or do not.

As for the gurgling.

Pack looser rather than tighter.

Use a pipe cleaner while smoking to control moisture.

Puff gently. You’ll only touch a hot iron once. Puff gently.

Don’t look for flavor. Pipe smoke is subtle. What you smell from a tin does not readily transfer to taste.

Puffing harder (looking for taste) is counterproductive.

Hot tobacco becomes flavorless tobacco and moisture creates steam.

Inhaling hot steam into your mouth? Where’s the line start for that ride?

Reactions: Goggy302

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Dry smoking is 95% smoker and 5% pipe. Heed the mighty Chasingembers and you will do fine with that short pipe.
This is true. You create or control moisture with good or poor technique. I like my brand’s moisture as it is from the tin. That said, there are some aromatics that must get some air first.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I find smaller pipes less prone to gurgle. Could be my luck. And larger pipes more prone. Now I don't worry about it. Almost never has been an issue but if I stuff a larger pipe with lots of tight tobacco it can happen. Where my smaller pipes never do that even if I smoke them wet and fast and crammed in. I think it takes some volume of smoking to create too much moisture. So my bet is you'll be good.

Reactions: Goggy302

Goggy302

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2021
Lewes Delaware
I agree with the other smokers. Also,please consider a straight pipe.Straight pipes allow a more direct path for the pipe cleaner to get to the gathering moisture. Only my opinion. And,by the way good choice on a french pipe.They're very well made.Thanks,and keep smoking,and experiencing.
Thanks for the info. I already have a couple of straight pipes. Wanted something different

Goggy302

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2021
Lewes Delaware
I would suggest trying a example from each genre of tobacco, so that you’ll know which YOU like or do not.

As for the gurgling.

Pack looser rather than tighter.

Use a pipe cleaner while smoking to control moisture.

Puff gently. You’ll only touch a hot iron once. Puff gently.

Don’t look for flavor. Pipe smoke is subtle. What you smell from a tin does not readily transfer to taste.

Puffing harder (looking for taste) is counterproductive.

Hot tobacco becomes flavorless tobacco and moisture creates steam.

Inhaling hot steam into your mouth? Where’s the line start for that ride?
I got it thanks

Reactions: Grangerous

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This is true. You create or control moisture with good or poor technique. I like my brand’s moisture as it is from the tin. That said, there are some aromatics that must get some air first.
What is your br--- oh, I recall. Granger. What RH does it start with?

Also, pipe cleaners to "control" moisture is a last resort, and if they need to be used often, the load of tobacco, tamping or pace is off.

Reactions: anotherbob

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
What is your br--- oh, I recall. Granger. What RH does it start with?

Also, pipe cleaners to "control" moisture is a last resort, and if they need to be used often, the load of tobacco, tamping or pace is off.
I enjoy Granger’s moisture content when fresh. I don’t “dry” this tobacco; I know exactly how it behaves.

I dump ash and insert a pipe cleaner once at mid-bowl to refresh flavor.

I smoke only non-filtered pipes and for me, a single pipe cleaner mid-bowl is sufficient.

That’s the benefit of smoking a regular brand; you know it, no surprises.

You know what’s a last resort for me? Knowing production RH levels.

The OP is concerned about “gurgling and moisture”.

It’s all about providing him with some options he can use now. In time, it’ll all come together for him.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I just purchase this nice Chacom Nose Warmer. My question is since I'm new to the pipe world. I'm worried about gargling and moisture in this short bent pipe from the tobacco. View attachment 59865View attachment 59866What would be a good Blend of tobacco to try to avoid that problem. Because I know some blends have more moisture then other's. I'm only going to smoke one certain blend like (Virginia's,) or (English's) or ( Aromantics). I'm leaving that up to you guy's to decide for me ? Here's a pic of the pipe and the Dimensions thanks
It's gonna happen, nothing you can do about it except run a pipe cleaner through it...more often in the winter months.

Reactions: Goggy302 and gerryp

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I just purchase this nice Chacom Nose Warmer. My question is since I'm new to the pipe world. I'm worried about gargling and moisture in this short bent pipe from the tobacco. View attachment 59865View attachment 59866What would be a good Blend of tobacco to try to avoid that problem. Because I know some blends have more moisture then other's. I'm only going to smoke one certain blend like (Virginia's,) or (English's) or ( Aromantics). I'm leaving that up to you guy's to decide for me ? Here's a pic of the pipe and the Dimensions thanks
I really like that pipe! A little gurgle never killed anybody, as far as I know. ?

Most of my pipes are bent, and only 1 of them gurgles at all (a Peterson D. Rocky 01). It gurgled more when it was new, but it still does it occasionally. I've read that pipes can gurgle because of the way the airway is drilled, such as maybe a too-sharp angle or a gap between the end of the tenon and the bottom end of the mortise. (I might be wrong about that btw. ) I think trying to fix it would be hit-or-miss.
I still enjoy smoking the Pete 01, but I try to smoke it a little more gently than my others which usually does the trick.