PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
So for $50 I figured why not and no one else bid on it so I seem to own it now. I think it would be something more to display than smoke, that being said I think it would be worth a couple hundred bucks to have someone fix it up, that number I just pulled out of the air I honestly have no idea what it would cost.

I have seen a lot of names passed around here, but is there someone that specializes in meer and this type of thing, I've seen some gorgeous restorations so am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
While it does look old, I wouldn’t have any confidence in its being a “19th century pipe” without an actual appraisal. It seems like it’s being dated based entirely on the date carved on it…which could be nothing more than art.

Reactions: yanoJL and AJL67

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
While it does look old, I wouldn’t have any confidence in its being a “19th century pipe” without an actual appraisal. It seems like it’s being dated based entirely on the date carved on it…which could be nothing more than art.
Def don’t believe everything i read, it’s old that’s all and it’s cool and for $50 why not.

Just from the pictures, what you can see it needs a good cleaning , cap work and the stem is shot so a stem made and worth playtime to have it all done right.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
That’s a cheapo Austrian Meer, commemorating the napoleonic wars. Yours depicts ol boney outside the walls of Vienna. Battle of wagram I think, 1809.

sorry, I see rustiepyles beat me to it. Lol
They were still making these in the 20th century as well though. So, might not be 19th C.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Like i said, didn't think it was that old, but it's still cool and i have a place to display it when it's fixed up, for the price i'm still happy, let's face it 50 bucks isn't going to break the bank.

I emailed briarville to see what's what and about getting a stem etc.,

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'd say you did well for 50 bucks. If it were me, I'd have it cleaned and redone. Get rid of all the metal, and put a nice normal acrylic or vulcanite stem on it. Really rock it!

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I'd say you did well for 50 bucks. If it were me, I'd have it cleaned and redone. Get rid of all the metal, and put a nice normal acrylic or vulcanite stem on it. Really rock it!
I'll see exactly what it "is" when i get it then decide what to do with it, but the plan is still to get it refurbished and a new stem, i'll leave that up to briarville i'll trust their opinion on what would look best.

Reactions: didimauw
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Beautifully colored! Looks to have been smoked a fair bit, nice score! A little scrape out, polish the metal work, she'll clean right up. That stem ought to clean up pretty well to.

Reactions: AJL67
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Stem is wood and very old, going to let rich decide what to do about a new stem.
I'm getting ready to make a couple of these cherry weichsel stems. I got a similar pipe sans stem. You can also use a large Pete style system stem, Vermont Freehand has pre-molded blanks that just need to be sized and finished.