PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I have been wanting to buy a Meershaum pipe for a while. The more I read about them on this forum and elsewhere has motivated me to make it the next purchase. So many of them I see online have huge bowls which I was not after. Add that to the current state of the Canadian dollar and the cost of most Meershaum pipes I knew I might have to wait to find the right one. I was fine with the wait as the hunt can be fun and you can see some great pipes as you look around. I was near my local tobacconist today with a little time and no kids so I dropped in to see what sort of things he had in stock. He has 3 big display cases packed with pipes but no Meershaum. I asked if he carried any and he pulls out of box with predrilled briar blocks and around 20 SMS meers stacked in there. I look through them and a number catch my eye. His prices were also fantastic. I settled on this nice little Dublin for $105. I just finished a bowl of Rattrays Old Gowrie. What a treat. Great flavour, no nasty taste like some of my first smokes in briar. This is going to be a nice addition to my rotation. The fact that there was no dottle left at the end of the bowl is a great sign.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
That's a nice looking pipe. I think the classic shaped meers, simple, elegant and functional are the most desirable.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Welcome to the church of the white goddess. Be careful or you'll find your briars collecting dust while you watch your meer start to take colour.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I have three I am working on. Good thing the "work" only involves smoking and bee's wax. Got a long way to go on the colorization process. They really look good when: "Pipe smokers become ardent devotees to the White Goddess, in search of the bloom of color that these Pipes display after years of smoking."
"Slave to the white goddess"

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/slave-to-the-white-goddess/

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
That's a nice, simple, elegant shape. I think SMS are excellent quality, and I like their inlaid stem logo (not brass like a vintage CAO or Golden Horn, but snazzy), which not all of them have. In my opinion, $105 is fine price for that, especially if it smokes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.