PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

T. M. Peters

Lurker
Jul 13, 2021
This stuff smells like Copenhagen Wintergreen and tastes like a Newport cigarette! I must have went through 100 reviews in which no one entertained a single guess at what the casing was, well folks unless I'm going crazy the answer is MENTHOL!

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Um, okay … but I’ve never experienced that before and I’ve smoked a fair bit of it. Is this a one time thing or does it consistently taste that way? I’m asking because body chemistry can do weird things and it might be a one-off deal or it might be that blend just hits you differently than, well, everyone, lol.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
3P's isn't my favourite plug, I prefer the stronger ones. But even so, that doesn't sound like any 3P that I've ever had.

If anything it sounds more like War Horse Green - which is more anise than menthol (wintergreen I can get from it), but that kind of ball-park anyhow. I'm pretty partial to WHG, but it's not going to be for everyone.

For me, 3P tastes pretty natural and uncoated. Are you sure it's 3P?

T. M. Peters

Lurker
Jul 13, 2021
Well this is my first impression but it is a strong one. I grabbed it from a local cigar shop, it being only one of 7 or so pipe tobaccos on offer. From the moment I first opened the tin I thought "Copenhagen Wintergreen". I had a smoke in the park and walked away with the minty aftertaste characteristic of a menthol cigarette.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Well this is my first impression but it is a strong one. I grabbed it from a local cigar shop, it being only one of 7 or so pipe tobaccos on offer. From the moment I first opened the tin I thought "Copenhagen Wintergreen". I had a smoke in the park and walked away with the minty aftertaste characteristic of a menthol cigarette.
something is up with that.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Not how it smokes for me either. As verporchting suggested, see if the menthol essence keeps showing up in subsequent smokes. May have been a quirky smoke. I just had a bowl a few days ago and it was quite muted. Good body to it but unexceptional flavorwise. I'm going to try mixing it with some lighter blends to give them a little growl.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Peterson 3-P, if that's what we're talking about here, is a robust non-aromatic. If I recall burley predominates. From past associations, I am strongly averse to menthol, it smelling to me like desolate bus stations at 3 a.m., and I did not get even a whiff of that from 3-P. It's either contaminated or somehow got swapped with something else.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Peterson 3-P, if that's what we're talking about here, is a robust non-aromatic. If I recall burley predominates. From past associations, I am strongly averse to menthol, it smelling to me like desolate bus stations at 3 a.m., and I did not get even a whiff of that from 3-P. It's either contaminated or somehow got swapped with something else.
Thinking back, you're absolutely right -- Greyhound stations at 3AM smelled like stale Kools/Newports (with a background of stale Marlboros lol).

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Yikes! I am no great fan of 3 P but I have never tasted menthol in the stuff. That sounds like W.H 'Gilbert' but that is a highly compressed crumble cake and tends to remind me of drinking an entire bottle of anise.

Status
Not open for further replies.