PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I've been a several-cigar-a-day smoker for 5 or 6 years now, and I've tried to pick up the pipe a few times before only to give up in frustration every time. But I decided to try again around 6 months ago, and I was more determined than ever. I bought a few decent pipes, a lotta good tobacco, and started practicing. And after 6 months of frustration and tongue bite, I finally found my niche: Flakes.
I tried to fold & stuff a few months ago, but it didn't work for me. I'd since been rubbing out my flakes and not really having the greatest experiences with them, it seemed I'd get burned no matter how dry they were. But just last night I decided to give fold & stuff another try with some Carolina Red Flake, watched some how-to videos, and wow. It was perfect. I stuffed it in my Neerup Churchwarden and settled in, and it lit so easily and burned so slow, all the way down, with only one or two relights. One of the relights was even cold (something I've never had much luck with) and it lit right up. The burn was outrageously slow, too, lasting around an hour and a half.
I've been experimenting with different flakes today, and even broken flakes work perfectly for me. Rather than fold and stuff when the pieces aren't big enough, I line up pieces of broken flakes on a table, pick them up in one loose pinch, and try to push them all in my pipe at once going the same direction. I look at like making a mixed-filler cigar in my pipe. I just tried it with some McC's Bayou Slice, and it's the first time I've had a good experience with McC's with no drying time. I usually have to dry them overnight and still get gurgle.
Sorry to ramble, just very happy with my revelation. You all helped a lot, and I appreciate all the advice I found on this forum. Now to stock up on flakes!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds like you are having a good time "learning" pipes. I find pipes a more varied and creative activity compared to cigars, though I have enjoyed cigars over the years. Cigars are, to me, like going to a restaurant where someone else is organizing the experience, whereas pipes are like doing your own cooking. A tin of premium pipe tobacco can give you twenty smokes for the price of one good cigar. With pipes, you can mix your own "blends," and generate even more variety.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Congrats on your success. I smoke flakes 99% of the time and have been for a number of years. My cellar is composed of 35 flakes, 4 plugs, one rope and 2 aromatics. Here are a few of my favorites that are readily available.
Capstan Blue Flake
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
Escudo
Solani 633 and 660
Peterson Flake and Deluxe Navy Rolls
Savinelli Doblone d'Oro

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Sounds like you are having a good time "learning" pipes. I find pipes a more varied and creative activity compared to cigars, though I have enjoyed cigars over the years. Cigars are, to me, like going to a restaurant where someone else is organizing the experience, whereas pipes are like doing your own cooking. A tin of premium pipe tobacco can give you twenty smokes for the price of one good cigar. With pipes, you can mix your own "blends," and generate even more variety.
I am definitely having fun, and have no intention to stop learning.
My familiarity with cigars definitely helped me learn this packing method, I believe it made it easier for me to visualize what was happening inside the chamber when it's packed like a cigar.
And I mostly agree with your assessment. There is a certain amount of individuality when it comes to smoking cigars though, and no two smokers smoke exactly the same way, just like with pipes. But there are definitely way more options when it comes to pipes.
Also, I find it very easy to smoke upwards of a dozen bowls a day, partly because of the lower cost and partly because pipes are much more gentle on the palate, but I usually cap my daily cigar intake to 3-4.

Reactions: bnichols23

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Congrats on your success. I smoke flakes 99% of the time and have been for a number of years. My cellar is composed of 35 flakes, 4 plugs, one rope and 2 aromatics. Here are a few of my favorites that are readily available.
Capstan Blue Flake
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
Escudo
Solani 633 and 660
Peterson Flake and Deluxe Navy Rolls
Savinelli Doblone d'Oro
I'm definitely moving in that direction. Since my revelation, I'm considering offloading all of my tobacco besides my flakes.
I just grabbed a few more tins of Carolina Red (still in stock at tobaccopipes) and I have access to a large trove of McC's at work. Also just grabbed some Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro, and I'll certainly by adding your suggestions to my list, thank you! Only one I've tried is the ODF, and that was when I was rubbing it out, so it wasn't my favorite

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have to agree with you that flakes are where it's at. In fact I am a little salt about all the people that acted like flakes are some high technique pipe blends and not oh the parameters slide a bit further and aren't as messed up by wind. Mainly though you get to look forward to many more of those ah-ha moments. The hobby is practically all lousy with those moments. And trust me escudo is just good and so is Savinelli gold coins. And the Savinelli is perfect for stuffing, it seems to come already folded :).

Reactions: blues4goose

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Would be interesting to watch your references. I've never had any luck with the fold and stuff.
This video was the biggest help. But I think it had more to do with the visualization. Or luck. I dunno, I did it in a way that 'felt right' in a way that I never experienced with other cuts or methods of packing.
I've also had a good bit of help from Russ O and Dan Chlebove

Reactions: olkofri

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Blues, I would wait a bit to clear your stash. Your taste will change over time and the aging of most blends will only make them get better.
Very true, and apart from paying some of my ribbon-cuts forward to friends trying to pick up the hobby, I'll probably just throw most of my stuff in a drawer. I'm not going to totally give up on non-flakes, but it does feel great to finally have a tobacco that I can reliable & consistently enjoy with minimal frustration.
It's tough learning how to smoke a pipe, because you get home at the end of a long, stressful day and all you want is a good bowl, but those are the times when it's hardest to get it right.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I am definitely having fun, and have no intention to stop learning.
My familiarity with cigars definitely helped me learn this packing method, I believe it made it easier for me to visualize what was happening inside the chamber when it's packed like a cigar.
And I mostly agree with your assessment. There is a certain amount of individuality when it comes to smoking cigars though, and no two smokers smoke exactly the same way, just like with pipes. But there are definitely way more options when it comes to pipes.
Also, I find it very easy to smoke upwards of a dozen bowls a day, partly because of the lower cost and partly because pipes are much more gentle on the palate, but I usually cap my daily cigar intake to 3-4.
Glad you figured it out, some people never do! Man, a dozen bowls a day? I do like 10 a day but would have to quit my job to squeeze in any more........wait, I think that’s a sign;)

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I believe a piper should be able to handle each and every cut. What good is a carpenter who can use only a hammer but not a drill?
This is probably true, but I don't feel the need to 'prove' my skills or versatility to myself or anyone else. At the end of the day, I'm trying to get good at smoking so I can enjoy smoking, not the other way around. I won't give up on ribbons, but there's enough different blends of flake out there that I can keep foldin' n' stuffin' and not have to buy the same tin twice for quite a while.

Reactions: peregrinus

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Glad you figured it out, some people never do! Man, a dozen bowls a day? I do like 10 a day but would have to quit my job to squeeze in any more........wait, I think that’s a sign;)
I work at the Cigars International main office, so I just sit at my desk and puff away all day long lol livin' the dream! That also makes sure I can never fully transition from cigars to pipes, cigars are my bread & butter!

Reactions: kurtbob

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I work at the Cigars International main office, so I just sit at my desk and puff away all day long lol livin' the dream! That also makes sure I can never fully transition from cigars to pipes, cigars are my bread & butter!
Wow, you get the award for sweetest job ever! Congrats at winning at life!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
This is probably true, but I don't feel the need to 'prove' my skills or versatility to myself or anyone else. At the end of the day, I'm trying to get good at smoking so I can enjoy smoking, not the other way around. I won't give up on ribbons, but there's enough different blends of flake out there that I can keep foldin' n' stuffin' and not have to buy the same tin twice for quite a while.
It's not about proving anything to anybody. Many of us are solitary smokers anyway. It's about being able to handle blends that aren't offered in our favourite cut.

For instance, the cut affects the rate of combustion. One reason I haven't fretted much about not being able to do the fold and stuff is that flakes, with their low combustion rate, are just not suitable for my smoking habits, what with the necessity of keeping my smokes to ~30 minutes and all. Still, flakes have their place (think long drives, windy environments, &c.) and I must be able to handle them with the same ease as I do ribbon because I might have to choose them in a given situation.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
It's not about proving anything to anybody. Many of us are solitary smokers anyway. It's about being able to handle blends that aren't offered in our favourite cut.

For instance, the cut affects the rate of combustion. One reason I haven't fretted much about not being able to do the fold and stuff is that flakes, with their low combustion rate, are just not suitable for my smoking habits, what with the necessity of keeping my smokes to ~30 minutes and all. Still, flakes have their place (think long drives, windy environments, &c.) and I must be able to handle them with the same ease as I do ribbon because I might have to choose them in a given situation.
That brings me to another reason I've been liking flakes for the past couple of days, is how well they take cold relights.
When I had a ribbon cut burning well and I had to step away for a while, I knew it wouldn't light back up as well as it had before. But flakes are different. With flakes, I can step away at any point in the bowl for as long as I need to, and it'll fire right back up first try.
I definitely see what you're saying, and it is true for most, but not entirely true for me. Based on my smoking habits, there isn't really a downside to mainly sticking with flakes. I smoke at work, in my car, and in my apartment anyway, so it's pretty rare that my smokes are limited to 30 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.