PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I received my first Peterson pipe yesterday, a Rossaire classic B10--beautiful pipe, and the first two bowls were pleasant with some good GLPease Union Square. But when I tried to put a pipe cleaner through it, it wouldn't go all the way through. When it cooled and I removed the stem, I could see that the draft hole was not centered in the shaft, but instead ran through the upper side of the shaft. Is this typical for this pipe, or did I get a bad Peterson?
bluesmoke

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
I will take a stab at this (risking possible crucifixion). :D
The draft hole should be above the reservoir that collects moisture from the tobacco, providing you with a dry smoke and minimizing gurgling.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Looking at my 16 Petes, and excluding the 3 Systems which due to their construction will NOT pass a cleaner to the bowl, and of course the straights ( which would have a major issue if they didn't pass a cleaner )
- Donegal XL90 - no-go

- Aran 999 - no-go

- Aran 05 - no-go

- Donegal B10 - no-go

- Kinsale XL26 - no-go

- Shannon 80s - go, if cleaner inserted a certain way

- Rosslare 80s - go, if cleaner inserted a certain way or twisted

- Kapet 03 - no-go, draft hole majorly off center but smokes like a dream

- Aran 03 - no-go
With bent Petes it seems the exception, not the rule, that they should pass a cleaner. Perhaps it has to do with the shank construction which appears to act as a moisture trap, not unlike their System pipes ....
Interestingly enough, boudreaux, both my Pete 80s bulldogs which will pass a cleaner with some effort are also potential wet smokers :crazy:

chagovatoloco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2013
It sounds like a system design. Can you take a picture of the pipe with the stem removed? I honestly can't understand how a pipe with out a military stem can be functional as a system. Sure it will work when you smoke it, but don't the constant removing of the stem to clean the system reservoir quickly ware out the stem?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
bluesmoke, I think rcstan has it right. To elaborate just a little, I have found that few bent pipes

pass a pipe cleaner through to the bowl. I never expect that. It's not just Peterson System pipes.

My Peterson B11's (a shape I love) don't pass them, but neither do a number of other bent pipes

like my Bari or Savenelli. I have one little Benton compact bent billiard that takes a pipe cleaner all

the way through, which I thought was rather nice for a $36 pipe. My guess is that there is nothing

wrong with your Peterson. If it smokes well, just go with it. Bent pipes often don't take a pipe cleaner

to the bowl.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
The military stem is just a "quick-release" for the stem, if you will. Really came in handy when I dropped one of my Systems, as it would have snapped the stem otherwise.
I de-stem my pipes at the end of the day to give'em a good shank wipe ( Petersons ) or after a couple of smokes to change the filter ( Savinellis ). No ill effects as long as you don't go yanking out and shoving back in.
the first two bowls were pleasant
Did you run a pipe cleaner through the stem, whether it went all the way through or not, after each bowl? It will collect stem moisture regardless .....
2 bowls through anything without a stem swab pretty much guarantees the third to be on the wet side or at least taste a bit funky ..

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
+1 all. You cannot pass a pipe cleaner into the bowl, you can remove the stem without worrying about damage.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I agree with the above mentioned that most bents will not pass a cleaner. The majority of my pipes are bents including all of my Pete's and none of them will. I also have a B-10 Pete and it smokes great. Congrats on a nice pipe!

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Peterson Rosslare's are not System Pipes.

The B10 designation simply signifies the shape of the pipe.
Rich

4noggins.com

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
+1 Rich
Like its' been said earlier, most of the Pete bents do not have the draft hole drilled through the centre of the shank, this makes the shank act as a moisture trap similar to the System, in the same manner that filter pipes i.e. Savinellis do.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
As others have stated, bent pipes can be more difficult to pass a cleaner, but I am not sure that's the issue. Normally, it's best to run a cleaner through before smoking. If it doesn't pass, then usually a dealer will exchange it for you.
Since it's smoked, it's not likely they will accept it as a return, but I'd contact the dealer just in case. I like Pete's a lot, but Peterson's QC can be sketchy - good luck.

chagovatoloco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2013
Not immediate damage, eventual. The tapered design will never fail, if the hole opens it just goes a little deeper. The other design has no fall back if the pipe hole opens up a little. This is why there are so many threads on how to repair lose stems. With a normal pipe design you rarely have to remove the stem, so there is not an issue. On a system pipe it should be removed regularly. That is why the military design compliments a system pipe. The standard pipe design is good, works well and dose look better. How ever the military with out doubt is a stronger better design especially with stems that have to be removed often. I know I am being picky but as a mechanic I focus on things like that, so I don't understand the system pipe with out a military mount. I know I'm in the minority and sorry if i have offended any one.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Congratulations on your new Pete. As long as she is a good smoker I wouldn't worry too much about the draft hole placement. Just my 2 cents.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks for the education on the construction of these pipes. The picture explains a lot, rothnh. Now I know I can expect it to smoke a bit cooler and drier than some other pipes. I'm liking it a lot!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
A Peterson Rosslare is on my wish list. Congratulations!
Have you tried a narrow pipecleaner like the Falcon brands?

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I found this video on youtube when I was first starting out.
pipe tip:
It still not full proof but with factory pipes its almost a must know trick.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Congrats on your new Pete, I hope you enjoy it.
In regards to bent pipes, every bent pipe I own passes a pipe cleaner with ease except for one and that one just needs a little twist. Just because it is bent does not mean the maker gets a pass on not constructing it properly. All pipes should pass a cleaner except for system pipes and maybe those Oom Pauls. Every bent Savinelli, Upshall, Castello, Radice, Caminetto, Winslow,Viprati, Ser Jacobo, Spanu,Dunhill, Charatan,Willmer and of course all of my artisan pipes over the years pass a pipe cleaner. The only two pipes I bought that did not were a Nording and a full bent Mastro De Paja and I was brand new to pipes and did not realize I should never have bought them. You never have to settle for a pipe that does not pass a cleaner, always ask the seller to check it for you and never accept one that does not. Any pipe that does not pass is mis drilled and should not have been sold. It is one of the most important features you need to look at when buying a pipe.
edit. Also price is not an issue in this, I don't care how low a price the pipe is, it should still pass.

Reactions: marlinspike

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
Enjoy your new Peterson Pipe, I am sure it will give you many years of enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.