PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pick out your cobs carefully for shape, size of bowl, and angle of the shank for bent or straight because many of them last a long, long time, and by the time they do, you want them to last a long, long time again. They aren't throw-aways, especially when you get them just right. Then you like that cob best and look forward to it. Missouri Meerschaum and Old Dominion (with the historically correct reed stems) are the only kinds to buy. If you're doing any kind of historical re-enacting or just want to have the historical touch right, an Old Dominion is ideal. If you are looking for a big bowl cob, the MM General and freehands are perfect. A rare pipe smoker really doesn't like cobs, but those are few. As for looking too down home, I say, a tuxedo and a cob -- perfect!

canuckken

Lurker
Sep 18, 2015
Airdrie
Thanks for the info mso489. I just smoked a bowl of black cavendish in the country gentleman and it was great. The cavendish was a bit moist so had a bit of a hard time keeping it lit at the beginning but 10 minutes into the bowl it was burning fine. The cob did get a bit hot though. I am going to try a bowl of the same cavendish in my morta pipe to compare.

canuckken

Lurker
Sep 18, 2015
Airdrie
I think this stem mod looks a bit better to my previous mod.

ariApU6.jpg

canuckken

Lurker
Sep 18, 2015
Airdrie
I robbed the stem from a cheap eBay pipe. The shank is covered with extra thick rubberized heat shrink. It is a work in progress. The stem is sanded so I will need to do some buffing to get it shiny. I might also decide to remove the heat shrink but for now I do not mind the way it looks. It is just a cob so I am not spending any money on it, I am just trying to make it look a little nicer with what I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.