PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefflee01

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2015
Leesburg, GA
I just picked up my first MM cob today and so far I like it but it could use a better stem as the plastic one on it feels way too hard and cheap for me not to mention I'm not a fan of filtered pipes. My first bowl was Lane's 1Q which tastes better in it but that could be because it's not broken in yet. I think with the humidity here in South Carolina it's probably going to be make my cob smoke as hot as my Oom Paul. I might just make this one my pipe for throughout the day and use the Oom Paul for my evening smoke. Around the beginning of the month I may pick up a couple of more and a Dr. Grabow that I saw at the same place I picked this one up to add to my collection. So far no full out PAD yet but I know it'll come sooner or later.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
A Forever Stem will cure your dislike of the stock stem and your preference for an unfiltered pipe.

jefflee01

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2015
Leesburg, GA
I'll most likely get one around the beginning of the month when I get the extra money. I dislike having a limited budget but that's life right now.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Boy, I do hear ya there. The stems are more expensive than the pipe itself, but you could say the low price of the pipe justifies spending extra on a good stem! All of mine are Walker stems, not the new ones, but man do they increase the enjoyment of my cobs.

jefflee01

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2015
Leesburg, GA
I hear ya there on the enjoyment. I just looked at the walls of the cob and found a potential burn-through spot. When they drilled for the shank they caught the opposite side of it a little. I've put some pipe mud along there in hopes that'll keep it from burning through.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Those cobs are pretty damned hardy. I know some look at them as "disposable", but mine sure seem to last a long time. I meant to mention earlier, I don't think you have any worries with the humidity in SC making them smoke hot. You have to to remember, the MM is a Southern born and bred product; if it performs well in its humid home state of Missouri, it should serve well in SC for many years. MM cobs are notorious for putting up with moisture of any kind. Can't say enough good about them, and not just because they're a Made in USA product (although that doesn't hurt!).

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I'm smokin 1 of 2 MM Legends I've been smokin 35 years or so even as I type this...

jefflee01

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2015
Leesburg, GA
So far it has smoked a bit cooler than my Oom Paul which I do enjoy and earlier when I was smoking some after dinner delight it was a lot cooler smoking and seemed like a bit more depth to the flavors as well. My dad saw it earlier when my wife and I went over to see him and he's wanting one now too. I might get him one at the beginning of the month and surprise him with it. At the same time I might order me an estate from P&C if I find one that I like at the same time order some of their blends too.

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
jefflee,

Enjoy that new cob!

One of my favorites is the Mizzou which I converted into a bent filtered pipe.

Yes, I'm one of those guys who actually prefer a filtered pipe!

The cob is a fine pipe.
Happy Smoking.... :puffy:

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
About 5 years back I forgot my pipe. On my lunch break I picked up a cob( an Eaton)and two ounces of 1Q. I headed to a park and enjoyed the heck out of it! It's still one of my favorites. I've abused the heck out of it! I bought a back up for it just in case it gives out. That was two years back and it's still going strong!

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Jefflee,

Great choice and enjoy your cob! They are my favorite pipes.

And I smoke them with the filters in.

Jan 8, 2013
Man, I remember my first cob. I had been smoking briars for a good while and finally gave one a try. I fell in love. Easy on the budget, light enough to clench, great in hand, draw thats out of this world. Welcome to the dark side man, there is no turning back.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like Forever stems. They give a MM cob the feel of a good briar pipe. You just need one or two. You can use softies on the MM cob plastic stems where you don't have Forever stems until you can afford them. Cobs are excellent.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
I never had a burn out with the cobs. What usually happens to mine is they start to swell for some reason and then the plaster starts to fall out

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
start to swell for some reason and then the plaster starts to fall out
Had that problem with a freehand, and filled in the gaps with Elmer's wood glue. Still smokes great.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I own over 40 MM cobs and with the exception of the 6 Forever stems, I replaced all the stems with the Danish style stems and put softie bits on each stem. I even have softie bits on the Forever stems. I tend to favor the amber Danish stems over the black ones because to me the amber stems feel more sturdy.

canuckken

Lurker
Sep 18, 2015
Airdrie
I just got my first cob too and also was not happy with the stem so this is what I came up with to make it a little more tolerable. Good ol' rubberized heat shrink which feels a lot nicer than the stem without it.
DSC06923.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
It's a slippery slope. Next thing you know, you'll be porting and polishing the damned things, and hand-turning custom inner tubes for them. Bet you're wondering how I know... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.