PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It was rather obvious. Saw it, and knew it was mold. But I think I know why there's so much questions about whether it's mold or not. I really didn't want to admit it was mold! Damned good blend too. And it was one of those that was only made that year. A crap. Drying some Balkan Supreme. Pulled out rest of my pipes and one has a big old chamber that will hold enough tobacco to drawn my sorrow.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
What happened Bullet? Perhaps we can avoid the same pitfall.
An act of gods, maybe? I used to propagate fig cuttings. Mold is given. We manage it. Between fresh air and UV from sun, mold can be managed. But sometimes, it goes out of hand. Then we bring in the heavy artillery. Chemicals.

But with tobacco, there really isn't much we can do. Once the tobacco has been moved into a jar, it's like those biospheres. Everything in there is on its own. If mold was on tobacco or somehow spores get in there, it's done. Because, if there is mold in that jar, you really don't want to smoke it. With right amount of moisture, darkness, and warmth mold will thrive.

This brings an interesting problem. What if there are spores in the jar, but condition isn't right and we never see the mold? We might be smoking mold spores without knowing it?

I guarantee you that every tin of tobacco has mold spores, except maybe stoved or cavendish blends. Tobacco has the mold spores on it the moment it breaks from the seed, just as we are all born with the bacteria and spores of the things that will break us down once dead.

But, the mold will not activate without the perfect moisture, temperatures, and PH. Since some stubborn companies still want to sell us mostly water, and with temperatures once sold are out of the company's hands, that leaves lowering the PH of the tobacco or using an inhibitor. And, sometimes a batch slips through...

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I know mold is everywhere, but does anyone sanitize or sterilize their jars between blends? Just curious if it makes sense to do that
No. i just wipe out and put new blend in. Tobacco is tobacco. And if it didn't have problem before, I'm fine. But if I see mold, whole jar goes. i try to keep similar blends in same jar.

Reactions: UncleRasta

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I haven't found mold yet, but I think if I did I'd throw the whole jar out and sterilize the jar.

If any of you have an Instant Pot, they can sterilize jars in just a few minutes. (so long as the jar fits inside I suppose.)

Reactions: bullet08

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
It was rather obvious. Saw it, and knew it was mold. But I think I know why there's so much questions about whether it's mold or not. I really didn't want to admit it was mold! Damned good blend too. And it was one of those that was only made that year. A crap. Drying some Balkan Supreme. Pulled out rest of my pipes and one has a big old chamber that will hold enough tobacco to drawn my sorrow.
Should have posted pics so people could all disagree with what it was, missed opportunities!

I either, put old jars in the oven at 200F for 30 minutes or so before packing... after cleaning with soap of course. Or, I will soak them in the sanitizer I use for bottles when corking wine. It is called One Step, but you could use a little bleach poured into your hot water in the sink. Just soak them and let them drip dry. Don't wipe with a cloth, because that will negate all of your efforts.

New jars come sterilized, so I just use them as is.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Is there anything in the process of aging tobacco that might lead to mold? I assume most of us are just stuffing it in mason jars and letting it sit in a cool dry spot out of sun. Any insight?

Is there anything in the process of aging tobacco that might lead to mold? I assume most of us are just stuffing it in mason jars and letting it sit in a cool dry spot out of sun. Any insight?
Not really, the optimal temperatures for aging are also the best temperatures for mold to grow, 60-80F. You just have to take the chance. There is no sure fire way to prevent mold, once you have put it in the jars. With every chance of success in something there is also a risk of loss. That is just the way the world works.