PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm kind of in a weird spot, where I have been smoking my cobs a lot lately. Because of this I feel that it would be strange to light them with my IM Corona Old Boy...Just doesn't seem right...SO I tend to use my Bic instead.
Am I the only one who feels this way?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I suffer this on both ends. It does seem a bit out of place lighting up a cob with a sleek and shiny lighter. I get the same feeling when I have out a beautiful pipe, my Cosmic Folklore tamper and my old boy with my good ole paper plate for tobacco drying. But I have come to enjoy this slight disjoint. I could buy a nice silver tray to dry tobacco on or I could buy a lighter more aesthetically in line with a cob but I like drying on a paper plate and I like nice looking lighters. So I imagine my set up with continue to be a hodge podge of upscale and cheap but effective products.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Sometimes highest quality doesn't have to equal massively expensive. If you're smoking Missouri Meerschaum you're smoking a high quality pipe and there is nothing wrong with using a high quality lighter

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
If you're smoking Missouri Meerschaum you're smoking a high quality pipe and there is nothing wrong with using a high quality lighter
Well put! :puffy:

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I would certainly not disagree with that. MM makes damn good pipes and they do their job admirably. For me it's more an issue of aesthetics which I know is not how everyone looks at things. Personally, I want what works the best or provides for my needs regardless of price. Sometimes I get it in the way of a cheap but quality product and some time I have or want to pony up. That's why I like my paper plate so much, it works. Definitely no disrespect to MM pipes though.

Status
Not open for further replies.