Just Added 3 Premium Bourbons To My Ever Growing Collection.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Amazon delivered to me this morning three more new to me premium bourbons. I say ' premium' simply because they are considerably more expensive than my usual bourbons. For the price of this trio I could have bought at least 6 litre bottles of Jim Beam White Label!

The three are 1792 Small Batch, Four Roses Single Barrel & Eagle Rare 10 Year Old.

This takes my tally of American whiskies to 38 in total ?

One odd thing, all spirits sold in the UK are either 70cl or 1 litre. My 1792 Small Batch is the full American size of 75cl for some reason.

Really looking forward to trying these out over the next three days......I may be gone a while ?

Regards,

Jay.?

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
All pretty solid Jay. ER10 has been a favorite of mine for 20 years.....over the last 5 years or so it's gotten pricier and bit more "batchy" but it's still typical solid at worst (and terrific at best). Four Roses SB has numerous mash-bill variations, but overall they tend to be pretty consistent for SB bottlings.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Excellent choices. Well bought.

If you like to step into the dark side, there are some really nice Rye's coming out of the US right now. Rye has slightly more bite and less sugar than a Kentucky style Bourbon.

If you see this available online give it a try. Just found it last week. Excellent and reasonably priced.

James-E-Pepper-Rye-Color.jpg

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
I would like to try Pappy Van Winkle some day (I don't think it's a bourbon though)

It's a bourbon (family of bourbons). You should be able to find some version at an upscale resteraunt for $50-$90 a pour.

I completely dig trying PVW as a famous name to scratch off a list. As a product though, beyond the legend, it's long past both the selectors (deceased) and juice that made it famous (distillery closed). It went through a couple years recently where the old expressions were flatly junk. If folks want to chase white whales these days.....chase/pay the premium on the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection releases. PVW price is waaaaay divorced from quality at this point.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Eagle Rare is really good, pretty much everything from Buffalo Trace is good."

I only realised it was from the Buffalo Trace Distillery when I read the label on the bottle!

Really looking forward to 10PM tonight (my evening tipple time).....not sure which I will try first but I only ever drink one spirit on any evening so I have three nights of pleasure to look forward to.

They all smell delightful by the way.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: Kilgore Trout

dontbeaburleyman

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2013
Central California
Just returned from a trip to the Hill Country of Texas. Highly recommend what's coming out of the Garrison Brothers and the Milam and Greene distilleries. Can't go wrong.

And if you're into podcasts, check out the WhiskyCast pod. Amazing what's being produced in the world.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Amazon delivered to me this morning three more new to me premium bourbons. I say ' premium' simply because they are considerably more expensive than my usual bourbons. For the price of this trio I could have bought at least 6 litre bottles of Jim Beam White Label!

The three are 1792 Small Batch, Four Roses Single Barrel & Eagle Rare 10 Year Old.

This takes my tally of American whiskies to 38 in total ?

One odd thing, all spirits sold in the UK are either 70cl or 1 litre. My 1792 Small Batch is the full American size of 75cl for some reason.

Really looking forward to trying these out over the next three days......I may be gone a while ?

Regards,

Jay.?

Nice additions!

9F7C6C55-8D77-41F1-8C3A-63185A280625.jpeg

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Never been a huge fan of GB--It is too musty for me. I love the 4RSB and the ER10 is my go-to everyday, if you can find it at a normal price. $35/0.75L or $60/1.75L.

ER17 is #1 on my list, but I've never had it.
I've had three different Elijah Craig Barrel Proofs, and I loved them all. Smooth, rich and lots of caramel.
The Blanton's SB was super solid but kinda boring. It's like the Monte Cristo #2 of Bourbons to me.
The Laws bourbons are pretty solid too. Especially the cask strength.
My cabinet will never be without some Islays either. Ardbeg, Bunnahabhain and Laphroaig mostly.

Has anyone tried the Colkegan single malt? Awesome change of pace, with 1/3rd of the peat smoked by mesquite. It's worth a try, but only if you like mesquite.

Status
Not open for further replies.