Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Okay, so yesterday I got my TAD shipment from Watch City Cigar. I got 2 50g tins and a 250g box, all Samuel gawith. I cracked one tin right away to sample and jarred it.

Today I came back to the unopened tin and could smell it when I put my nose up to it, so I gently pushed up on the lid and it popped right off so I jarred that.

My question: should my 250g box be alright? Or should I open it and jar it as well?

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Also, is it normal to be able to smell through a sealed tin? I figure that maybe when it was being shipped the seal became compromised as the box it all came in was damaged.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Also, is it normal to be able to smell through a sealed tin? I figure that maybe when it was being shipped the seal became compromised as the box it all came in was damaged.
if the seal is damaged you'll know. I know when I order a decent amount of tobacco the box usually faintly smells of tobacco. If a tin doesn't make a swishing noise when opened it's damaged.

Reactions: JMcQ

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
if the seal is damaged you'll know. I know when I order a decent amount of tobacco the box usually faintly smells of tobacco. If a tin doesn't make a swishing noise when opened it's damaged.
Yeah, neither tin made the noise now that I think about it. The flakes weren't dried out so I'm not really too worried about it. Thanks for the reply

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
Gotta watch the Gawith tins. I sent a tin of Squadron Leader to Brian Levine for his juvenile diabetes for his fund raiser last year and it popped in transit. He couldn’t use it for his event.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Tobacco in square and rectangular tins dry out and lose the topping flavour much faster than round tins. They don't seal well.

Definitely jar the box - I'd put 200g in one jar for aging and 50g for smoking now. [What blend is the 250g box btw?]