PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I got a summons in the mail for jury duty about 10 days ago.

I was ordered to report to the courthouse this a.m. @ 8:00.

I filled out the request for dismissal and mailed it back the same day.

I waited to hear from the system.

Friday night or Saturday, sometime, I remembered the summons and looked at my remaining paperwork.

It said to call between the hrs of 8-5, M-F...so I didn't bother to call.

I hauled myself in there and after 35 minutes of driving through rush hour traffic for 15 miles replete with red lights and school buses, was told that I had been excused and that there would have been a recording that told me if I'd called 'after hours'.

I guess I missed a payday, but, my time and health are more important than 15 bucks and the disdain of jurists.

Why did I say that?

Long story I won't burden you with,, other than these words:

Judge: "I don't care what the jury said, I think you're guilty as sin, and hereby sentence you to six months detention in the County Jail."

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I've only been summoned once so far, when I was a student some 13 or so years ago, to serve on a jury for a federal case. It was about drugs and money laundering. One of the pieces of evidence was an entire bale of pot! I ended up being a reserve juror, so I wasn't able to see the trial to the end. Aside from the disruption to my schooling that semester, I loved being part of the process and look forward to my next opportunity.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
This is the third time I've been called in about 16 years. I've never been picked.

We've got a County Jail and a Sheriff, and a sprawling and very large County boundary.

I sometimes feel that the jail requires prisoners for the whole operation to float, much like speeding ticket quota's help fund municipal police, in some communities.

I love jury duty. The two trials that I sat in on, we fantastic. But, in our state jurries are like bargaining chips, hostages so to speak. 90% of the time it is just a room full of folks all setting around all day just waiting, just in case that one turd tries to squeak in and get a trial in hopes that the court doesn't have a jury waiting to hear it. Having a jury in wait prevents folks from stepping out of negotiations and into the courtroom. Luckily, I can set just outside the main door and smoke my pipe. I have had the occasion to have a judge join me in a smoke.
I have also gone to jury only to be told that the docket was empty. I hate those. They don't feed us when we get sent home. :puffy:
I used to have a negative outlook on jury duty. But, then a buddy of mine told me that he hoped that if he ever went to trial that he hoped that someone like himself was on the jury. So, I try to have that outlook. I don't fall for lawyer-speak, I'm no fool, and my conscience would prevent me from ever going to sleep if I was not 100% convinced. And, yes, I have been the one hold out once. I do hope that if I am ever tried, that someone just like me is on that bench.
It's good to be an American.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
If I am ever a defendant I will seek a jury trail. During Voir dire I would make sure to ask if any prospective jurors are pipe smokers. If so, I'd elect to have them on my jury. On the other hand, if the Prosecution asks if anyone smokes Mixture 79 I'd have to strike them from my list... :)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I was supposed to report for jury duty today but my number was too high and I was excused. I wouldn't mind serving but people like me are rarely chosen by attorneys to sit on a panel. Being literate, highly educated and having had a job are not attractive qualities for most defense lawyers.

fafnir

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
The judicial process in South Africa is reliant on a learned opinion of a judge (justice or magistrate) and not a trial by jury. Heck I would love to serve on a jury think about it, you get imbursed to judge people without having any judicial frame of mind or knowledge... but then again you might sit in a jury for the prosecution of an accountant.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Its funny how so many people hate the thought of jury duty (hehe duty) but my wife actually cried when she was turned down, she really wanted to be there..

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
If you want to get out of being on a jury, tell the attorneys that you believe in jury nullification. This is the process where the jury decides that the defendant did what they said, but disagree that it was a crime.
I was on a jury for a domestic abuse case. Apparently the guy and girl were in a screaming match, after he got another girl pregnant. She must have been inches from his face. Using his left hand on her arm, he increased the distance between them. I guess this qualifies as pushing her, but we, the jury, did not think this was crime.

Yep, they don't want you if you really want to be on the jury. Wanting to be there is the easiest way to keep from serving, but those that try really hard to get out of it are the #1 people they want.

My first case was a doctor who accidentally killed his patient. After that one, I realized how little some doctors give a shit about any of us as human beings.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been called once, made it to the jury pool for a trial (drunk driving accusation, a Hispanic gent). The jury was selected before I was interviewed. One of the defense attorneys was British, which struck me as interesting. I cannot serve now that I am a caretaker to my wife who has mobility problems, presumably. I didn't long to serve, but I saw it as a necessary duty as a citizen. For my one day, it was a fascinating people watching opportunity, and a chance to do some reading, but when trials get drawn out and/or contentious, it can be a sort of punishment in itself. My wife was on a jury and when they couldn't decide, the judge sent them to a nasty old motel with no outside contact and they came up with a verdict in a hurry -- but that was in New York.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Often times the judge limits the jury as to what can be considered as relevant facts in the case and tightly constructed instructions to the jury make the outcome seem predetermined. I've been through this several times. In the morning they show prospective jurors a video about how important it is to participate in the system. The rest of the day is spent being treated like a bothersome child; wait here, go there, etc... I've always felt like a small cog in a big machine.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I have never missed an election since I was 18 years old and have never been called for jury duty. Of course they are all guilty so I can see why they don't call me.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Due to my colorful history with federal justice system, I'm guaranteed to never sit on a jury, although I'd enjoy it.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've been called twice - both for drug trials - I have made it into the jury pool and then immediately released by the defense attorney when I state that I am a retired Coast Guard Senior Chief Petty Officer. Seems they don't want someone who was involved in drug interdiction to pass judgement.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
If you want to get out of being on a jury, tell the attorneys that you believe in jury nullification.
Definitely a good strategy if you want to get out of jury duty. The last thing the court wants the peasants to be aware of is their right (and duty) to make a judgment regarding the law and its application as well as whether or not it was broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.