PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Sweet.

Dr. Roberto, are you scanning the horizon for one time Loring stuff and pouncing when you find it? Or just doing some "retro checking" of your collection and discovering some pieces were once his?

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
That is a stunning blast. I love the EK shape and have a few less stunning examples. All great smokers though and very comfortable for me in the hand.

Reactions: ofafeather

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Sweet.

Dr. Roberto, are you scanning the horizon for one time Loring stuff and pouncing when you find it? Or just doing some "retro checking" of your collection and discovering some pieces were once his?
No, I have cycled through several pipes from smokingpipes.com starting with an attempt to get a mid 20's Bruyere shape 59 that turned out to be obviously topped.
Someone who ended up with some of Loring's pipes is selling through smokingpipes right now. I've seen at least 4. I only noticed while trying to research the 479 that the one I bought is the one he had photographed in his collection. I bought the EK above due to condition and blast. The Loring link was a neat bonus.

Reactions: guylesss

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
What a looker! I love the blast on that one, the tight grain makes it stunning.
I love these old EK's. The differences in bowl shapes on these are a study in itself............
I have a 1931 model, and the bowl walls are concave, quite the opposite of yours which look more convex. I always assumed it was from the blasting, but I had a 1964 root that was heavily smoked that had all 4 sides concave..........
Not to hijack your thread, but here's a few pics of mine, for the EK lovers out there.........
IMG_5164.JPGIMG_5165.JPGIMG_5166.JPGIMG_5167.JPGIMG_5169.JPG

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I love thinking about all the world events that pipes of this age have lasted through. Great looking piece.

Reactions: doctorbob
Status
Not open for further replies.