John Dengler's Black Maria (pronounced Mariah)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
This is a very mild yet extremely pleasant English Blend. The Latakia and the Perique are players, but they don't take the infield. What is presented is a very pleasantly balanced blend of what it means to be English. Definitely, you are smoking and tasting tobacco. But this is an all day blend, and it is meant to be smoked with company in mind, but like all good English people, it is happy to be smoked under a tree overlooking the sea or a desert as is my case just as much as it is after a fine dinner of Prime Rib and Yorkshire pudding.

Are there flavors in the mix just waiting to be savored and written about? Yes, but what would be the point in going on and on about each of the flavor notes. You have Cavendish, you have Latikia, you have Perique, and you have Virginias. What IS note worthy is that in this blend they all play nicely with each other and they get along, so much so that those who smell this mixture as its being smoked are taken in as if you were smoking Prince Albert. Prince Albert was an Englishman and so is this blend.

John Dengler was the tobacconists' tobacconist. He was legendary in his own time and he knew it. Those not familiar with him have their homework cut out and as a former teacher consider yourself assigned to learn about him. This blend, one of many that he devised, was and is something that is still accessible at the shop that bears his name - a shop in St. Charles, MO that is itself more museum to a time when tobacco shops were adventures waiting to be experienced. I highly recommend this blend. Be forewarned - it isn't SPC or Esoterica. But it is tobacco the way tobacco was formulated for over a century - that is to say - it is enjoyable and will ask you to savor it some more once you are finished.

For those of you interested in the shop and wishing to learn more about him: Home | tobacco-shop - https://www.johndenglertobacconist.com

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
I know this thread is a few months old but I finally bought an ounce of Black Maria today! It’s very smooth and well balanced. The room note is fantastic as well. I’ll definitely be buying more. I bought my first pipe from Larry and it’s true, the shop is like stepping back in time.9CBBB119-5F7C-4142-B3C6-ED105C5C5423.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: telescopes

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
If memory serves, questionable of course. that's the name of the "Paddy" wagon before the Irish became the arrestee of choice in Boston.NYC. Back then Mariah spelled her name with an "aitch." But, the blend sounds tasty.
I believe you are correct!

Reactions: anotherbob

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I know this thread is a few months old but I finally bought an ounce of Black Maria today! It’s very smooth and well balanced. The room note is fantastic as well. I’ll definitely be buying more. I bought my first pipe from Larry and it’s true, the shop is like stepping back in time.View attachment 137093
I know this thread is a few months old but I finally bought an ounce of Black Maria today! It’s very smooth and well balanced. The room note is fantastic as well. I’ll definitely be buying more. I bought my first pipe from Larry and it’s true, the shop is like stepping back in time.View attachment 137093
I am so happy to hear another smoker has found this blend. It is indeed a quiet little secret. John Dengler, if he were alive today, would be a "living legend". His wealth of knowledge about the world of pipes and tobacco was more than extensive. His shop, a family legacy since 1917, still is a working museum. When John was alive, his extensive collection of estate pipes that he had access to was unrivaled. The man simply was the real deal and indeed, talking with him in his shop was no less than taking a trip back in time to America's founding. He even dressed the part and was instrumental in helping develop Old Town St. Charles, Missouri into what it is today. Those that knew him will attest to the accuracy of everything I just stated. Black Maria is a blend of tobacco that just shines with brilliance. Back in the day, it shined even brighter as John was able to blend it with tobaccos and ingredients that just aren't available any longer. However, the blend we have today continues the legacy of what he created quite well. It is smooth, has a fantastic room note, and is exceedingly balanced. It is a gentleman's English Blend. In some ways, it reminds me of Crystal Palace in that you can tell that something from the past is still being maintained. Those who are interested in trying some can contact his son-in-law by phone. Just google John Dengler Tobacconist and ask to speak to Larry. He still mails the tobacco on a hand shake agreement and you send him a check by mail once you receive it. Please, no scammers. This shop is a part of America that left the building many years ago.

If you want to support a true piece of Brick and Mortar history, I strongly encourage you to check out the offerings. Not everything they have is, of course, their own "blends", but some of John's historic blends are still available.

My own blend, "Telescopes" is put together by Larry. Although I have since learned how to blend it myself, I still order it from John Dengler's just to move some business their way.

Larry is thinking about getting out of the business. His wife died a year ago and he is the last of the family line interested in continuing the shop. It suffers no loss of business, but time still calls.

@LotusEater has some "Black Maria" and can attest to its unique characteristics. I hope he and others will jump in and share their thoughts on the blend.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Black Maria is a lovely light English! And (as advertised) it has a great room note. I will be in St.Charles Mo at the end of April for my son’s soccer tournament and I am going to make every effort to visit John Dengler’s shop while I’m there. I’ll probably get myself a little more Black Maria and I am looking forward to to trying some other house blends as well.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Just ordered a half pound. Larry seems like a real stand up guy and I’m looking forward to trying this one! If it’s as good as I think it might be I’ll probably cellar some. Just ordered some Wilke blends I’ve been wanting too. I’m really enjoying milder all day English blends more now than previously. Still like a good strong blend occasionally but I don’t feel like smoking them often unlike years ago when I just couldn’t get enough. Until I eventually got enough I suppose. Such is life.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Please let us know what your thoughts are of the blend when you receive it. Happy smoking.
Delightful, mild and tasty. I could smoke this all day long. Not many English blends fill this niche. I’m very happy to have followed your recommendation telescopes!