PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
John Bull True English is described as "a classic English-style blend of ripe Virginias, select, fragrant Orientals and rich, smoky Cyprian Latakia." Opening the 1.5 ounce pouch the tobacco seems to be at just the right moisture level.
For me English blends are hit-and-miss as to whether or not I like them. I think it comes down to the particular Oriental tobaccos used. For me, some just have an off taste.
This new blend from John Bull is definitely a hit for me. The Orientals are easily noted, but they don't have the off taste that I find in some blends. The Virgina adds some sweetness but is in the background. The Latakia is the other main taste. I wouldn't say it dominates, but it does enhance the smoky taste and mingles with the Orientals to give a more dynamic taste, rather than have one element dominate the blend.
I would recommend this for anyone who likes English blends, or anyone who wants to try an English and isn't put off by Latakia--I like it but from what I hear it's not everyone's cup of tea. I would give John Bull True English three stars out of four. I will be adding it to my rotation.
3/4
John Bull True English.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been smoking it for about six years. It's mild but tasty and burns well. I have an opened pouch on hand.

Reactions: magicpiper