PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Of the cellar bequeathed sold to me last summer, there are only a couple of English blends. This was the last one remaining I had yet to try. According to TR.com (at least before the Borg administrator(s) went bugf**k and made the website as useless as a 3rd tit), RE is on the mellower end of the English blend spectrum. Which is great for me, seeing as I have eased my way into every new blend type I have tried. I've done my research, and I know how easy it would be to start with a total lat bomb, and be so turned off by it as to dismiss the whole blend type outright. Not my style; I enjoy having options, and this strategy has worked for me thus far. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? If only the TR.com admins felt that way...but I digress.

A walk in the woods on a cold day presented no better justification for enjoying an English blend. RE smells wonderful right out of the pouch (jarred it immediately, of course), and needs no drying time. Took a flame as easy as can be, and gave me that nice full flavor all the way through the bowl. Had it not been for the gusty wind, it wouldn't have even needed a relight. Unbelievable smoke, this was! Just that nice, woody, earthy flavor, all the way down to the very bottom, into a nice grey ash. Not once did I get tongue bite, and never was there even a hint of an ashy taste. Almost no moisture left when all was said and done.

Couldn't have asked for much more than this for my Saturday afternoon smoke. 9 out of 10. For any other novice hesitant to try their first English blend, I would heartily recommend you start with this one. Smoked out of a Peterson Dublin 221 bent billiard.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like John Bull too. It's mild but well balanced and with sturdy flavor. It's moderately priced but uses quality leaf (by my tastes). There are certainly more complex English blends, in a good way, and more original and surprising ones, also in good ways, but John Bull is pleasing and dependable, good company on a walk or any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.