PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
I have to compliment the John B. Hayes folks in northern Virginia. My wife went in yesterday with a short shopping list and came back with exactly what I wanted (including one of those really hard-to-find blends).
I've been shopping there on-and-off for twenty years, and I used to think they were mostly interested in selling cigars, but I've been going every month or so since April and have been really happy with their knowledge and friendliness.
Even though the store's in a mall (I hate malls), and not spacious (it can get crowded, but the customers are pleasant), and there's no lounge, I think they're worth visiting and am glad to buy from them. The mark-up is reasonable and it's nice to talk pipes with people who smoke pipes.
Good service - worth a lot.
(I should get out to Winchester sometime to see their other place, too.)

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
I hang out there quite a bit. King (one of the clerks) is a good friend and also in the CAPS pipe club with me. You should get out to Winchester, they have a HUGE pick of lightly smoked estates there. Send me a PM sometime and we could go out together. Also. check out CAPSCLUB.org, the local pipe club.
Cheers :puffy:

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
Had no idea there was a club around NoVA (besides CORPS, of course, but that's a haul for me) - I have to check that out!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I spent a couple of days in Winchester this past September and passed a couple of hours there over 3 days. Good cigar selection. I didn't see much in the way of pipe stuff. I did buy a tin od Dunhill My Mixture 965. The locals were friendly but I was the only pipe smoker there in the afternoons. There were some "estates" but nothing I was interested in. Neat downtown area and worth a visit.

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
Try some of their Hayes #1, just bought a couple oz of it today and it's quite tasty.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
I agree - it's good.
McClelland's Virginia Woods originated as a home-blend at this shop. It's good if you're looking for a nice aro. The room note is nice enough to calm any of the anti-tobacco crowd and the flavor's nice, too. (It's one of the very few aros I like.)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I enjoy my occasional stops at the Fairfax shop as well. King is a great guy and always interesting to talk to. That little shop has the most traffic I've seen for a pipe shop. I can usually find some of my favorite blends as well. The Winchester shop does have a larger selection of estates and the owner is always fun to speak with as well. I wish either was just a tad closer.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
I have never walked out of a B&M with what i went there for.
It's always WAY MORE.... :D
Thanks for the heads up here, I travel down there a few times a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.