PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I am retired now as a result of disability but I am proud of the fact I was able to work for 30 years despite being disabled since birth. My body gave out on me. Most of my career was in the insurance industry. I dealt primarily with Workers Comp.
I try to read lots to keep up with insurance and financial information and I now manage most affairs for my elderly mother. Lots of insurance issues to deal with related to claims so I am right at home.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I'm a university professor. Got my MS and PhD degrees from the University of Minnesota, St. Paul, in Botany and Plant Pathology. I teach Microbiology, Medical Microbiology and Emerging Infectious Diseases. You can read up on me at ratemyprofessors.com. My research is on the evolution of filamentous fungi using DNA sequencing tools and bioinformatics. I've published 18 peer-reviewed scientific papers, most as senior author. My website is: http://www.eboehm.com. At the moment I'm between jobs.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Kash. I'm so disappointed. I didn't see ONE freaking pipe on that website.
You could have put the Comoy section right between the Hysterocarina and the Psiloglonium.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
LMAO Jah! Maybe I'll do just that. Altho smoking is a big no no in academia. Can't imagine why with the likes of Einstein no less puffing away at Princeton. LOL. Ah well ... the past was better. Always better than the present. And what the future portends. Going for a job interview this week in NYC. Wish me luck.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks Roth. Much appreciated. For the interview they want me to teach a chemistry class for 45 min. Topic? Global warming and its effects on NYC. Got to put on my Al Gore hat for that one. The hoops I jump through for a paycheck. LOL.

youngpiper1

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I am currently a student. I am a writer although I need a new computer, one of my own, lost all of my stories and books that was on my old one. I also will be going to college for a short term art certificate in drawing from beginner to advanced, with painting as well so I can get my tattoo apprenticeship. Then I will use money from that to pay for the various college degrees I want, because I have a deep thirst for knowledge. I already found a guy who would make a mobile tattoo studio in a bus, and my friend parties a lot with people who want tattoos. 50 dollars for the smallest tattoo, hundreds of people at these parties, so we should be able to make good money

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
I'm the office Administrator for a large Mechanical Contractor. While the work itself is usually mundane, the construction workers generally keep me entertained with their antics, and my coworkers are great people with an even greater sense of humor.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
youngpiper
Sucks on losing everything. You need to look into Dropbox and Google Drive. I double backup everything to both places. And I have apps for both on my phone so I always have everything. No need to carry around a laptop looking for a plug or forgetting your flash drive in someone else's computer.

Dec 24, 2012
My research is on the evolution of filamentous fungi using DNA sequencing tools and bioinformatics
Kash - many friends have told me that I'm a funguy - perhaps you should do a paper on me.

magoo65

Lurker
Apr 10, 2013
My primary job is a firefighter. I've been doing this for 9 years and have been an engineer (driver) for most of my time. My engine covers a large retirement community, 3 hotels, 2 college campuses, 2 highways, 1 nursing home and several other gated communities. Oh and another nursing home and a dialysis clinic is under construction. My company is generally the busiest in the county with around 2000 calls per year.
My department has a 24/48 schedule so on the side, I work for another firefighter pressure washing houses. When I'm not doing that, I own and operate a mobile vehicle detailing business. I also have a job offer instructing at a friends flight school once I get my flight instructor certificates.
Just a little busy.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
By day I'm a systems analyst for a major hospital, but I'm also on the board of directors for a small, non profit dog shelter. We take in strays, owner surrenders and pull dogs from death rows of local pounds. In 2012 we found forever homes for 105 dogs. This past weekend we found homes for 4.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I am a manager at a retail sporting goods chain. I like it but Im always looking for something new. I used to build sets for broadway productions (Mary Poppins, Don Giovanni, several ballets to name a few), museum exhibits and traveling exhibits (Norman Rockwell was a cool one), Amusement parks (several rides for Universal Studios and Hershey Park), and set up parties and trade shows. I also worked at Arizona State maintaining all the physical sciences labs and buildings as well as designing and fabricating equipment for the labs. I honestly miss working with my hands and the critical thinking and problem solving I did. Now I deal with customers and very young part time employees Im very good at it but its not my dream job by any means.

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
I retired from a private practice in Family Therapy and now sell Real Estate.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I develop new beverages for a national retail coffee chain in Canada. I oversee the coffee and tea buying, and quality control, manage the builds of new recipes of all beverage types, and oversee all customer research and in-field/market testing and validation.

michalski

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
I'm a full time flight instructor, planning on getting a job with the airlines within the next few months.
Life is good:)

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I currently work at Mcdonalds, but am looking fora job at a "real" restaurant or Bakery. I've wanted to work in the food service industry for as long as I can remember, and it is what I plan to do for the rest of my life.

magoo65

Lurker
Apr 10, 2013
I'm a full time flight instructor, planning on getting a job with the airlines within the next few months.
Life is good:)
Do you instruct at a large school or a smaller one? What plane do you typically instruct in and what airline are you looking at?
I went to ATP in Jax a couple years ago and stopped short of instructor because I herniated a disc and just haven't made it back yet to finish up... I'll probably need a biannual actually since its been that long.

michalski

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
magoo65,
I instruct at pretty big aviation academy, around 350ish students, close to 100 instructors and probably around 60ish airplanes.
We use Piper Archers for private and instrument, and the Seminole for CPL me. Lately, I've been flying the Seminole a lot (literally, I just got back from a night flight).
As far as the airlines go, my number one pick would be Skywest, followed by Express jet and then probably Eagle.
If you are interested in flight instructing, I would highly recommend big flight schools with a lot of students.

Phoenix area is one of the best places to instruct, great weather and a lot of big flight schools.
Please let me know in case you have any more questions.
BTW, our flight school is always hiring:)

Status
Not open for further replies.