PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Coming to theaters near you just 18 days after April Fools Day: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2357129/
I was just thinking, that choosing Ashton Kutcher to play Steve Jobs is about as bad a mistake as choosing Tom Cruise to play Lestat in Interview with the Vampire
DD2bdFZ.jpg

But then again, I could be wrong.
If you need a cocky, brilliant geek, Keanu Reeves seems a little bit more the type cast.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Yep you're right. I don't think I even need to see this movie in order to talk crap about it. if Steve Wozniak says right off the bat that Kutcher as Jobs was way off, then ... it's going to be a Hollywood stink-burger of a movie.

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
There has been allot of chatter all over the net calling this a disaster. With the Woz already saying that this movie is way off base and Kutcher playing Jobs I don't see this movie doing well...

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Kutcher is a comedy actor, that's a double edged sword. When you're seen as one, people will have a hard time watching you in a serious role, as their all waiting for the punch line. Was a bad choice for a main character, and will hurt the film. It will probabaly get good reviews as Hollywood always takes care of its people. This will get a box office jump off it being "Ashton", but then gone in 2 weeks.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I think he was chosen as much for how much they could make him look like Steve as anything. Speaking of Steve Jobs was Noah Wile really the best choice for him either. It's always hard for movie makers to find a talented actor to play someone that was as well known, recognized, and hated/loved as Steve/Jobs. Will I go see the movie? Probably and I'll try hard to shut the inner geek in me up as I'm watching..

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Kutcher is a comedy actor, that's a double edged sword. When you're seen as one, people will have a hard time watching you in a serious role, as their all waiting for the punch line. Was a bad choice for a main character, and will hurt the film. It will probabaly get good reviews as Hollywood always takes care of its people. This will get a box office jump off it being "Ashton", but then gone in 2 weeks.
Remember, people said the same thing about Tom Hanks, how could the guy from Big and Turner and Hooch play a serious role...but look at what he did with Philadelphia. Not saying that Kucher is half the actor that Hanks is, but some of these comedic actors do make a rather successful transition to dramatic roles.

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
I have my doubts, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the finished product. Definitely not expecting a masterpiece though.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
+1 Schmitz. Robin Williams did a couple pyscho thrillers that were pretty good. In some ways, I think having a comedic role before getting into some serious stuff, especially with a psycho as a character, helps. I think it helps define the character, like he has fallen off the deep end much further due to our connecting him as a comedian.
Then again?

Jul 15, 2011
I have a hard time buying into the fact that Kelso is going to pull this off. Kutcher signing on for Two and a Half men was the reason that I stopped watching that particular show, and The Butterfly Effect was "meh" at best, but like zanthal, I would love to be proven wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.